Good price for a 1998 650L

7 replies to this topic
  • Muktown

Posted April 14, 2006 - 11:30 AM

hey guys im new to this forum and i was looking for an enduro bike and found a 1998 XR650L for 4000 miles on it for $2,000. is this a good price? i dont know much about motorcycles and are they a good bike? any advice is appreciated
-Justin

• cleonard

Posted April 14, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Great bike, and it seems more or less ok on the price. 4000 miles isn't much for that bike. It has plenty of life left in it. They do OK on the road. Not the best for a first dirt bike, as it is tall and very heavy (well over 300 pounds). How are you planning on using it? Mostly dirt, mostly street, or somewhere in between?

• XRsteve

Posted April 14, 2006 - 05:06 PM

The price is about right. Like cleonard said, its a big bike for trails. I usually ride mine on dry trails and take my XR400 instead when I think there's gonna be trouble.

• Muktown

Posted April 15, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Great bike, and it seems more or less ok on the price. 4000 miles isn't much for that bike. It has plenty of life left in it. They do OK on the road. Not the best for a first dirt bike, as it is tall and very heavy (well over 300 pounds). How are you planning on using it? Mostly dirt, mostly street, or somewhere in between?

the bike doesnt have a scratch on it and it was owned by a motorcycle mechanic. i plan on using it for mostly road use because i have a 400ex for the trails. its mostly for riding around for college. maybe a little on the trails. is it more of an on or off road bike. the problem is i dont want a rocket and enduros are very hard to find around here. how is maintenence on them and what should i watch out for when i go take a closer look at it? thanks for the help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mountain Road Madness

Posted April 15, 2006 - 08:15 AM

Hello and Welcome to TT
The XR650L is a great bike. Little tall and heavy, but if you are going to ride alot of street the heavy part is OK. Mine has over 13,000 miles on it now and still runs great and has not given me any trouble. Hope this helped and Good Luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 15, 2006 - 09:42 AM

hey guys im new to this forum and i was looking for an enduro bike and found a 1998 XR650L for 4000 miles on it for $2,000. is this a good price?

$2K for an eight-year old bike with only 4K miles? Hurry up before someone else gets it or it gets put on ebay. :thumbsup: You can do a search on cycletrader.com to see what other XRL's are going for and compare. :confused:

i dont know much about motorcycles and are they a good bike? any advice is appreciated
-Justin

If you read up on the big 3: Kawi, Suzi & Honda you'll find many different opinions regarding each. You need to decide what purpose a dual sport bike will suit your riding needs most.

Kawi = street
Suzi & Honda = dirt & street or street & dirt, but both need changes to make either better for a single purpose.

Honda would be my choice as long as your not vertically challenged. :thumbsup: My DS $0.02.

• Muktown

Posted April 17, 2006 - 09:13 PM

thanks for the advice. it looks like i will be getting it whenever the guy decides to finally sell it. im hoping soon. whats the maintenence like and what should i watch out for?

• motomonte

Posted April 18, 2006 - 02:59 AM

Muk this machines are bomb proof,just change the oil often as it is the life of any air cooled engine.It would be good insurance to check the valve clearances and if you have the time and skill check all the bearings (and bushings) and repack them with grease.Happy roosting.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.