fuel shutoff what is off and on?

11 replies to this topic
  • wr400rider

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:55 AM

this is a dumb question but what is off and on my wr400? and should i be shutting it off after every ride? is crossways with the longer end of valve pointing towards off actually off? and where does the reserve fuel come from? i only have one tank.....sorry but im new to motorycles i come primarly from a snowmobile background.

• snmhanson

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:50 AM

All of the bikes I've ever owned had the lever crossways or sideways for off. In general though it should be on when it is running parrallel to the fuel tube. As far as turning it off after every ride, if I'm not going to be riding within the next few days I turn it off and run the fuel out of my carb. I don't think just turning it off by itself will accomplish much unless you drain the carb as well though. I'm not an expert on these matters but since no one else responded yet I thought I would offer my marginal advice.

Matt

• Moto5

Posted April 14, 2006 - 10:45 AM

On most bikes there is a tube that runs an inch or so up into the tank from the petcock. The petcock is a three way valve, when the lever is in the on position the gas comes from the tube, when the lever is in the reserve position the gas comes from the bottom of the tank.

• kskyles

Posted April 14, 2006 - 12:33 PM

look closely at the petcock. on a couple of my bikes there is an arrow on the lever. sometimes the long end of the lever points to the status. On my WR, the long end points towards on/off/reserve. It is opposite on the KTM.

• Moto5

Posted April 14, 2006 - 12:38 PM

look closely at the petcock. on a couple of my bikes there is an arrow on the lever. sometimes the long end of the lever points to the status. On my WR, the long end points towards on/off/reserve. It is opposite on the KTM.

That always pissed me off, why can't all bikes be the same set up. On older bikes you need a damn magnifying glass to see the arrow.

• Beejay

Posted April 15, 2006 - 02:47 AM

Take the fuel tube off at the carb, have a container ready that will take all the fuel & drain it in the different positions, you'll soon find which is off, on & reserve.
Then again just give a Yammie agent a call.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:38 AM

this is a dumb question but what is off and on my wr400? and should i be shutting it off after every ride? is crossways with the longer end of valve pointing towards off actually off? and where does the reserve fuel come from? i only have one tank.....sorry but im new to motorycles i come primarly from a snowmobile background.

Long end down = ON
Long end up = RESERVE
Long end toward off (on in middle) = OFF

• Bamster

Posted April 15, 2006 - 06:12 AM

wr400rider, where are you in Ontario?

• dl19

Posted April 15, 2006 - 02:42 PM

05 wr short end is the "pointer" end, and means what the short end is pointing out. Long end down is on, to the side off, and upward is Res..

• Stickshift

Posted April 15, 2006 - 09:29 PM

All of the bikes I've ever owned had the lever crossways or sideways for off. In general though it should be on when it is running parrallel to the fuel tube. As far as turning it off after every ride, if I'm not going to be riding within the next few days I turn it off and run the fuel out of my carb. I don't think just turning it off by itself will accomplish much unless you drain the carb as well though. I'm not an expert on these matters but since no one else responded yet I thought I would offer my marginal advice.

Matt

You turn off the fuel petcock when transporting your WR, in case there is a fire and your fuel hose parts or melts through, you will supply your whole gas supply to the fire. Petcock turned off - no such problem. Old fashioned common sense.

BG

• wr400rider

Posted April 15, 2006 - 10:16 PM

''bammister'' im located in the kawarthas region, closer to peterborough/oshawa you?

• Bamster

Posted April 17, 2006 - 01:28 PM

Cornwall. I hope to make it up to the Ganny this year. You ever ride there?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.