Riding in the mud...

10 replies to this topic
  • odonnks

Posted April 14, 2006 - 07:58 AM

We got a good hard rain and I'd like to increase the front grip a bit.
When in slippery conditions and the front is washing, I've read in the threads that it this can be reduced if the forks are 'moved up'.

That means moved up thru the clamps I think. Is that right?

Thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Correct - shortens wheel base a little puts a little more weight up front. Make sure your sag is set correctly and you have the right rear spring rate, this will help as well with front wheel tracking.......

• odonnks

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:44 AM

Thanks !
I did set the sag but have not checked spring rate yet.

This may be a stupid question and the answer looks obvious but, to slide the forks up, both the upper and lower clamp need loosened. The area inside the lower clamp has a good bit of up-down adjustment but the top of the upper clamp is in line with the top of the fork tube and ther is not much adjustment room on the tube on top. Maybe a 1/2 in at most.

When I say adjustment room I mean teh round slighty enlarged area the clamp surrounds.

Will that 1/2 in make much difference ?
The lower clamp has a good bit of up-down adjustment room.

Thanks again

• odonnks

Posted April 14, 2006 - 10:41 AM

The 'clamp' area I refer to in previous post is in this pic.
The flat area between 'A' is much less than betwen 'B'
http://i38.photobuck...ntForkClamp.jpg

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 14, 2006 - 11:16 AM

Thanks !
I did set the sag but have not checked spring rate yet.

This may be a stupid question and the answer looks obvious but, to slide the forks up, both the upper and lower clamp need loosened. The area inside the lower clamp has a good bit of up-down adjustment but the top of the upper clamp is in line with the top of the fork tube and ther is not much adjustment room on the tube on top. Maybe a 1/2 in at most.

When I say adjustment room I mean teh round slighty enlarged area the clamp surrounds.

Will that 1/2 in make much difference ?
The lower clamp has a good bit of up-down adjustment room.

Thanks again

Do you mean before the top of the tube hits the bottom of the handle bars? That shoud be your only restriction.

And yes, a 1/2" will make a noticebale difference :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted April 14, 2006 - 11:24 AM

10mm is the most you should really go. I have read some threads saying they raised them until they hit the handle bars but I don't recommend it. I raised mine 10mm and it made a world of difference :thumbsup:

• odonnks

Posted April 14, 2006 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the info.

I raised them about 5 mm and and rolled the bars up a bit and dropped the front tire pressure from 15 to 10 psi. It made a very noticable improvement.

Thanks !

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 14, 2006 - 02:10 PM

The 'clamp' area I refer to in previous post is in this pic.
The flat area between 'A' is much less than betwen 'B'
http://i38.photobuck...ntForkClamp.jpg

Aaaaah..... 06' forks are different :thumbsup: than my 04'. That should give you plenty of adjustment room though!

• beakr

Posted April 14, 2006 - 02:37 PM

You guys that have raised your forks--what has that done to how the bike handles in sand? I was thinking about raising mine on my '04 to help keep the front end planted better in loose dirt and mud, but have been riding some sand lately. I have a tough time getting my front end to not wash out in sand as it is.

• odonnks

Posted April 14, 2006 - 06:46 PM

I can't speak for sand but by raising them the 5mm It quicken the turn-in.
I would expect the same for any surface.

In mud it went from pushing to a slight oversteer, which I like.

• Beejay

Posted April 15, 2006 - 02:40 AM

After my last harescramble where it rained & was muddy the same was happening to me, front washing out & that tired me out no end having to pick myself & bike up about 5 times in 3 km's. Someone gave me this same piece of advice (matbe on TT can't recall) so I dropped my triple clamps by 7mm which helps tremendously in mud/clay.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.