Rust on Fork Piston Rod - How serious?

1 reply to this topic
  • MikeZ

Posted April 14, 2006 - 07:19 AM

So, I wanted to do a flush and refill on the forks last nite. Bike is an '02. New to me. Some miles, but pretty minty. I discovered the thing is still on the OEM front brake pads, which is cool.

Anyway, I get the tubes out and the springs, etc... out. I find a couple small (1/8" diamter) rust spots on the piston rod. I hit them with scotchbrite to get it off and smooth the rod.

So, how serious is (was) this bit of rust?

I understand that the fork damper can be prone to corrossion as well. True?

So should I just bolt it all back together with new 2.5wt oil or pull the forks ALL the way apart and see what's going on?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:38 AM

If it's just on the small diameter part of the rod, I don't think it's too serious. It's only a real problem when it's on a sliding part that needs to seal. The rust is an issue only because it is abrasive crap.

If you want to flush them out good, go and get a few bottles of the cheapest Dextron ATF you can find. Pour it in and move all the parts around for a minute or two. Then drain. Repeat if the fluid comes out dirty. When I did my forks, they were so grunge filled that I had to do it three times before the fluid came out red.

Related Content

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.