Please post PMB '05/'06 insert photo

14 replies to this topic
  • 06WR450FSM

Posted April 13, 2006 - 09:02 PM

I am thinking about buying the Pro Moto Billet WR insert, but can't tell what it actually looks like from the PMB website.If anyone has a photo of it before they installed it, that would be great! :thumbsup:

• tony1970

Posted April 13, 2006 - 09:10 PM

It is part # 05WRINS on the web site. If you call the TT store directly they will set you up with one I am sure.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted April 13, 2006 - 09:21 PM

Yes, at the PMB site it is 05YWRINSERT. I figured by posting on TT that along with a photo, I could get some shared experience on how much of an improvement it is.

I would like to hold off on buying a whole new pipe right now since I have already spent a lot on gear and supermoto mods for street days, but don't want to waste $ if the benefit is negligible.

• tony1970

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:01 PM

Do a search on this forum and you will come up with pictures and opinions on the insert. I love the insert and it is a marked improvement over stock in performance. Doing just the insert will not be as good as a aftermarket pipe. I also did not want to plunk the money down for a pipe set up so I went for the PMB insert and I am glad I did. The stock pipe is a marked improvement over the previous years of wr's in weight and flow, so i concentrated on improving my jetting and other mods. If I crush the stock pipe I will replace it with a good aftermarket one, but for now the bike is plenty fast and responsive with the stock set up with the PMB. Good luck.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the input! I have done some searching and read opinions, but haven't seen any photos yet. I wonder if it looks like Dodjy's 29mm ID end pipe, or ??

I agree with you that this may be the right starting step and that I should focus on optimizing the rest of the bike before investing in a new exhaust system.

• tony1970

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the input! I have done some searching and read opinions, but haven't seen any photos yet. I wonder if it looks like Dodjy's 29mm ID end pipe, or ??

I agree with you that this may be the right starting step and that I should focus on optimizing the rest of the bike before investing in a new exhaust system.

Yes very close to Dodjy's insert. Basicly the PMB insert fills the whole encap hole up. The front end that is inside the mufffler is flared for better flow. It is made of stainless and well made. IMHO you cannot go wrong with it. Also I feel that money is better spent in suspension and proper jetting for a bike to compliment the rider, but that is just my $.02.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:30 PM

[quote name='tony1970']Yes very close to Dodjy's insert. Basicly the PMB insert fills the whole encap hole up. The front end that is inside the mufffler is flared for better flow.QUOTE]

Its the design inside by the spark arrestor that I want to see. It is good if the front end by the arrestor is flared out larger than 29mm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CJ06WR

Posted April 14, 2006 - 07:15 PM

Go back to the PMB official web site. Get into the exhaust area of the site and in the upper left hand corner, there's a search engine. Type in "insert". Your search results will pop up and it will show a small photo of the insert for your bike. Double click the icon to get a better view.

I'm currently running the insert because it is the best bang for the buck. Like others have said in this post, but your money in other places, like suspension jetting, a nice skid plate etc, etc.... I'll only replace my muffler when I smash it....

If you still are unable to find the photo let me know, I'll snap one and sent it.

• 06WR450FSM

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:33 PM

Thanks CJ, but unless I am F***ing up, it only shows where the insert exits the outer end cap - not very useful. If you have a preinstallation photo that shows the inner side of the insert end by the spark arrestor, that would be great!

I agree with the rest of your post - I should continue to improve the rest of the bike before I invest in a different exhaust system otyher than opening up the restriction at the outlet.

• Summit

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:38 AM

Do you have to re-jet your bike with just the insert?

• CJ06WR

Posted April 15, 2006 - 03:01 PM

This insert is a direct bolt on item. If you remove the end cap on your muffler, you will see four bolts attaching the baffle to the muffler. The PMB insert fits exactly the same, it's just less restrictive.

I do not have any pre assembly photos and I would tear mine down for you and take a photo, but my wife has the digital camera and she just flew to her parents house for two weeks. Man, I love my inlaws living 800 miles away! I get to be a bachelor again. No wife...No kid....Just me, my dog, and, my WR!

• dl19

Posted April 15, 2006 - 03:05 PM

My o5 was way lean new for 1000' and 40 degrees, so the 80-90 summer would have burned it up. Glowing until just before the muffler joint. Mine did not change at all until I cut the air box and removed the snorkel. Then mine leaned out even more. Re-jetted a little rich with anticipation of hotter weather, and I get maybe a inch of red on the header pipe. I would not go to a pipe unless it was as quiet as the PMB. Stock with insert removed was quieter, but did gain a noticeable jump with better jetting and PMB. Don't know if it would have mattered as I did not ride it enough between Stock until cut open and re-jetted. Aftermarket pipes are way too loud, and if you wanted more then a YZF would have been the way to go. Cheaper to put a new sator and kick stand on a YZF then to try to make a WR run like a YZF.

• CJ06WR

Posted April 15, 2006 - 03:06 PM

Summit,

To answer the other question about jetting...I did re jet my bike, following Indy's guidelines. I used a JD jet kit, Zipty fuel screw, and several Yamaha factory jets. I rode the bike for several weeks with all of the free mods done without jetting the bike. The bike ran fine....a great improvement over stock, but my throttle response was slow. Jetting the carb made the throttle more crisp and responsive.

I also used ARIN's editorial for jetting our carb. He attached a photo for everything which made the job easy. This was my first MC carb to re jet and without everyones help on TT I wouldn't have been able to do it.

• Summit

Posted April 15, 2006 - 06:20 PM

My dealer did all the free mods and re-jetted too. (stock pipe with baffle removed) However I was wondering if I install a PMB insert now, will I have to rejet agian?

• 06WR450FSM

Posted April 15, 2006 - 11:01 PM

You might have to rejet anyway as the weather warms up. But if I understand things right, maybe the insert will actually keep you from having to rejet. Warmer temps require leaner jetting, but improving flow requires changing to richer jetting...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.