Dynorun on my WR450

46 replies to this topic
  • Withershins

Posted April 28, 2006 - 03:27 AM

Just a quick question about fuel..

I know for a fact that in Europe and Spain they have "Hotter" Fuel out of the pump than we have here in the states. i guess what I am trying to say is that it is not totally impossable to reach those numbers but you would have to get a loan for the motor work and run "race fuel" to make it happen.

just my .02

What do you mean by 'hotter'? :crazy:

• OlaGB

Posted April 28, 2006 - 10:27 AM

In europa we have 95oct as the standard fuel, and 98oct as an alternative.. Both on the gas pumps in almost every gas station.. At least here in norway..

A LITTLE unsure if the oct ratings scale are the same, but i think so..

• OlaGB

Posted April 28, 2006 - 10:48 AM

found something about Oct rating..

"In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91 in Europe."

So i guess the fuel isnt "hotter" after all..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5valve

Posted April 28, 2006 - 11:59 AM

We also have 100 octane fuel on the pumps in Slovenija, but as I tried 95, 98 and 100, never gained in performance or improvement in engine function.
However, there are diffrences in the same octane fuel sold in other countries, for instance, many car drivers claim better performance or better fuel efficency on foreign (austrian, italian, german...) fuel, just because of its better quality.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 28, 2006 - 10:44 PM

I'm not sure what the best way to allow the box breath and not permit debris from entering but I did see these that looked like a good solution.
http://www.rockymoun...77&navType=type

I had those on my WR, they work awesome. :crazy:

• Wheeliedevil

Posted May 01, 2006 - 09:57 PM

Here's the dynorun campared to the 525's. The green one is mine, the red is 525 with complete akrapovic exhaust and the blue is with akra slip-on. So even if the complete system gives more at top my guess is that you have more use of the power at bottom range as the blue.
Posted Image

• Withershins

Posted May 03, 2006 - 01:16 AM

We also have 100 octane fuel on the pumps in Slovenija, but as I tried 95, 98 and 100, never gained in performance or improvement in engine function.
However, there are diffrences in the same octane fuel sold in other countries, for instance, many car drivers claim better performance or better fuel efficency on foreign (austrian, italian, german...) fuel, just because of its better quality.

The octane rating has no relevance to performance or economy, it's there purely to stop the end gasses pre-igniting. It's only the energy in the fuel that matters - the bang for your buck. It may be of some interest that some higher octane fuels have slightly lower calorific value than regular unleaded. Using higher octane fuels in an engine that has not been modded in any way is much like using snake oil, or magic beans. The increased throttle response, improved fuel economy, etc. only comes to those people because they want it to (psychosomatic, almost). There is no actual gain, unless there was a problem with knock. There is only a couple of ways of increasing performance: More fuel/air getting to the combustion chamber, or getting more energy relesed from the fuel/air mix (by increasing compression ratio), and it's only the latter which benefits from a higher octane fuel overcoming any pre-ignition.

It's the other additives that make the fuel burn more cleanly, or evenly, etc. that make different fuels 'feel' different. Not the octane rating.

Sorry to rant, but people wasting money on expensive fuels for a standard engine bothers me. :crazy: :ride: :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.