Indy or NC or anyone in the know.......

5 replies to this topic
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:41 PM

More Rekluse oil questions. Today I was looking for Rotella T on your advice. Thanks. I noticed that the 10W-30 and the 5w-40 are NOT Ci-Plus rated, but the 15W-40 is. Can I run the 10W 30 in my YZ 450 or should I stay with the 15W-40? As I am sure you can tell I really dont know much about oils and engines and such. So if you could explain to me why or why not I would sure appreciate it. Thanks alot for all of your time on this. BnB. :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 13, 2006 - 01:39 AM

Get the 10W30. I can't locate it at any of my auto stores. They seem to only care the 15W40. I checked the specs on the 10W30 a few months ago and it is perfect for the Rekluse. I just cant seem to find it here in the midwest. I got to order some on line. :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted April 13, 2006 - 06:05 AM

i use the 15-40 rotella now,i was using the 30wt but it breaks down quicker. the 15-40 is CI-4 plus rated...but, they did it without adding anymore friction modifiers to the package. when chevron took the delo to the CI-4 plus rating they doubled the amount of soluble moly,which brought it up to 320ppm. now soluble moly is acceptable for wet clutches up to 300ppm so thats why the new delo is unacceptable(and believe me it slips). i forgot the numbers on the rotella,i believe it was around 120ppm. use the 15-40 rotella,and do your clutch a favor,start using 22cool :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 13, 2006 - 02:41 PM

Thanks guys. With both 10W-30(not ci4-plus) and 15W-40(ci4-plus) available which one should I get, it appears you two may have differing opinions on this. That 22cool looks great too. Thanks agian. BnB. :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted April 14, 2006 - 06:32 AM

the 15-40 covers more temp range when its hot,since switching to the rotella 15-40 the clutch is operating perfectly and the oil looks and feels better on draining than the 30wt did. its like your underbritches....up to ya :thumbsup:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 14, 2006 - 07:35 AM

Thanks agian for your help NC. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.