AIS removal kit needle clip setting

4 replies to this topic
  • nastcat

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:36 PM

I just installed the GYT-R AIS removal Kit in my son's 2005 WR450F. The thing I don't understand is the needle had seven positions for the clip and the threads I read on this site said to use the fourth position which is the middle position (center position). Which was really lucky because nobody stated the fourth position from the top (blunt end) or fourth position from the bottom (pointy end). Now to my question the fourth position looks to be the same height from the pointed end as the stock needle. If that is true why am I replacing the needle. The last thing I have concerns with is the adjustable needle that came with my AIS removal kit was bent slightly. I straightened it as best I could, but the manual says to replace if the needle is bent. Also thank you to Paul Zarr for your help in getting this thing this far along. So any comments to give me some direction would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Troy

• Express

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:24 PM

LOL...ya know I dont know if I have ever been told top down or bottom up either. Ive always stared from the bottom and counted up. So to me 5th notch would be from the point up.

Have I been upside down all these years????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:29 PM

LOL...ya know I dont know if I have ever been told top down or bottom up either. Ive always stared from the bottom and counted up. So to me 5th notch would be from the point up.

Have I been upside down all these years????

Yes you have!!!

• Matty05

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:31 PM

Hold the needle how it sits in the carby (pointy end down!).
The notches are now on top!

The notch on top is clip #1. You cound downwards!

• OneToGo

Posted April 12, 2006 - 09:14 PM

The last thing I have concerns with is the adjustable needle that came with my AIS removal kit was bent slightly. I straightened it as best I could, but the manual says to replace if the needle is bent So any comments to give me some direction would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Troy

Hi
Have to agree with the manual. The needle is a precisely milled piece of equipment. I would take it back to Yamaha and ask for a replacement if it came bent??? I certainly would not consider using it - worst case it may stick, best it will not be as good as new.
IMHO, I personallywould suggest you get the JD kit, two adjustable different taper needles and yes you do have to change from red to blue as the seasons pass.
You were right, central clip #4 from top is same as fixed needle.
Raise the clip for leaner running, lower for richer (not to be confused with lowering the needle!!)
:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.