How good is the stock XR650R suspension?

20 replies to this topic
  • dog2

Posted April 12, 2006 - 04:42 PM

We have an older XR650R that was modified (including suspension) for the Baja 1000. The bike is now used more for Baja trail riding (not racing through the whoops) and the suspension is harsh on the square edge stuff. For Mach 1 speeds through the whoops it is probably fine, but in BCS it is ususally whoop free. It has 8,000-10,000 Baja miles on it. We are considering buying a newer 650R with less miles on it.

I was wondering how effective the stock suspension is for general Baja riding with an average weight (180 pound) rider?

My only other complaint about the older bike is the weak rear brake and the footpeg issue.

• hill5150

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:11 PM

The stock fork setup on the pig are worthless stock for anyone above 160 lbs. Definately have them valved and sprung if you plan to do any serious riding, and get the peg fixed, animalhousedesign, it will save your back........

• TimBrp

Posted April 13, 2006 - 02:58 AM

The stock suspension sucks, bottom line. Get it resprung and revalved. It's a new bike after that.

• XR_mad

Posted April 13, 2006 - 07:06 AM

dont mean to hijack but while on the suspension topic, is it worth putting a set of cr/f usd's on the pig?

• TimBrp

Posted April 13, 2006 - 08:23 AM

dont mean to hijack but while on the suspension topic, is it worth putting a set of cr/f usd's on the pig?

Lots of guys will give you the nod on this, not me. Scott Summers, while racing GNCC and X/C events actually reverted back to the conventional forks on his CRF. He stated the CRF's forks were too stiff and revalving just didn't do the trick and that nothing soaks up the woods like conv. forks.

• XR_mad

Posted April 13, 2006 - 08:32 AM

thanks tim, i think ill spend the money on getting the suspension done instead

• Koko Azuela

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:16 AM

We have an older XR650R that was modified (including suspension) for the Baja 1000. The bike is now used more for Baja trail riding (not racing through the whoops) and the suspension is harsh on the square edge stuff. For Mach 1 speeds through the whoops it is probably fine, but in BCS it is ususally whoop free. It has 8,000-10,000 Baja miles on it. We are considering buying a newer 650R with less miles on it.

I was wondering how effective the stock suspension is for general Baja riding with an average weight (180 pound) rider?

My only other complaint about the older bike is the weak rear brake and the footpeg issue.

The rear brake feels weak because you are trying to turn the Titanic!!! :thumbsup: Feels the same on all 650's..
Do the revalve on the exisiting bike, you'll feel the difference!!! :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:47 AM

It will be a different bike man. May I also suggest a steering damper. I like my GPR unit because of the function, ease of use and price.

• airheadpilot

Posted April 13, 2006 - 12:38 PM

I assume RaceTech Gold Valves are the way to go for revalving. Which one for the XR650R? Also, how stiff should the springs and oil be for a 275-lb rider?

Thanks!

Andrew
2000 XR650R
2005 FJR1300

• KASUYAHO

Posted April 14, 2006 - 02:42 AM

Hey mate i notice your from aussie, there is a good guy down that way who is great with the XR650R suspension i have hard, he does the Honda race bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 14, 2006 - 02:51 AM

Hey mate i notice your from aussie, there is a good guy down that way who is great with the XR650R suspension i have hard, he does the Honda race bikes.

Just keep in mind that a guy that orientates his business around "race" bikes isn't going to be so keen on what the recreational trail rider needs or wants. Make sure you specify. :thumbsup:

• motopsycho650

Posted April 14, 2006 - 04:24 PM

I think the suspention on the XR650R works pretty well. I am 180lbs, and live in colorado, so I have to deal with A LOT of rocks.

On the front, I added 10ml of 5w oil to each fork, and have both the compression & rebound set one click over stock. I always open the air pressure screws when I get to where I'm riding. I am very happy with the way it handles lower speed rock bashing. And it's very smooth & stable at high speed. Since I added the oil, I have never once bottomed out, even jumping it at the local MX track.

The rear is almost totally stock. I have the compression set 1 click higher than stock. I never messed with rebound or the pre-load adjustments.

I don't know what some of these guys are unhappy about, but I bet they never tried playing with the oil level in the front forks.

• BWB63

Posted April 14, 2006 - 05:02 PM

You can setup the suspension on the XR650R to do the Baja 1000 and trail riding quite well. It would handle the whoops coming out of Sanfelipi ok but, not at race speed. The biggest problem with most is they setup the compression to hard 16 clicks out is much better on the PC setup and the Baja setups. Rebound around 12 clicks out. The XR650R sespension sucks stock for any serious work. It has the right spings for 140~170 pound rider maybe a little more if your just trail riding. I have found a lot of bladders blowen on older XR650R's and this makes it read unstable in the back end.

www.xr650r.borynack.com

• XR_mad

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:45 PM

KASUYAHO what part of aus? im from sydney so would they be within my reach?, and theres the teknik guys over at penrith, anyone got anything good/bad to say about them?

• HC

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:14 PM

get a stainless r brake line if you want more

• nickn

Posted April 15, 2006 - 12:27 AM

Hey Mad,
Tecknik- linked with ballards, they know their stuff. You can also go see Terry Hay, very experienced and world class he is Shock Treatment. Then you also have Frank Pons at Biketech, around for a long time and headed up the cagiva team years ago. If they are not up to scratch try NASA. Stick with conventional forks for trail riding, yes they flex but that is exactly what you want for trails. They also offer less stiction than USD froks.

• XR_mad

Posted April 15, 2006 - 03:02 AM

thanks nick, looks like im goin with teknik because ballards is only half an hour from my place

• XR_mad

Posted April 15, 2006 - 03:07 AM

p.s sorry for hijacking your post dog2

• RJC

Posted April 15, 2006 - 03:42 PM

I have some Race Tech fork springs I can sell and a rear spring if anyone's interested. I bought my XR650R from a guy 6'5 and 270+. He did a bunch of mods to it then decided he didn't like it and sold it, so it didn't see much use before I bought it. Since I weigh ~155, I pulled the springs, put the stockers back in, had Barnum revalve. The springs have "49" on the end and the rear has "56" scribed on the end. I don't know what these numbers mean but I'm sure somebody here could interpret.

• zx7rye

Posted April 16, 2006 - 05:09 AM

I have some Race Tech fork springs I can sell and a rear spring if anyone's interested. I bought my XR650R from a guy 6'5 and 270+. He did a bunch of mods to it then decided he didn't like it and sold it, so it didn't see much use before I bought it. Since I weigh ~155, I pulled the springs, put the stockers back in, had Barnum revalve. The springs have "49" on the end and the rear has "56" scribed on the end. I don't know what these numbers mean but I'm sure somebody here could interpret.

Could you look for any other identifying marks...I might be interested if the rates are correct for me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.