weight concious mods?

9 replies to this topic
  • DezXR650R

Posted April 12, 2006 - 03:38 PM

hello all, i have recently purchased a new xr650r...and although i love the bike and it suits the type of riding i do perfectly, the thing just weighs a ton. bone stock it weighs something like 280 pounds. add on the desert tank and all regular desert protection mods and you're looking at a bike well over 300 pounds.

for a guy who only weighs 140 pounds with gear on, im looking for some modifications i can make to the bike that will take off some excess poundage. it has me wondering if there are any mods at all that will shave off weight, seeing with a desert bike you normally put on some pounds because everything has to be heavy-duty. can anyone out there help me?

• adam574

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:31 PM

don't mean to hi-jack your post but what do you mean by all the desert mods

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 12, 2006 - 09:22 PM

There really isn't much you can do to these bikes to lighten them up...

A few years ago, Dirtbike did an article on the 650R where they made it go on a diet plan, so to speak. They did tons of work on it, like THOUSANDS of dollars, but after the dust settled, they had only lost like 12 lbs. The bike is just really hard to lose weight on. Theres things you can do like exhuast, bars, etc, but that won't save very much...

Like the article said... "Putting an aftermarket exhuast on the 650R in an attempt to make it lose weight is like scraping the barnacles off the queen mary to save weight." :thumbsup:

• gnarly sprockets

Posted April 13, 2006 - 04:43 AM

What they said. If you try really hard, you can coax it down to 275 dry!

• snaggleXR650

Posted April 13, 2006 - 05:36 AM

I agree,
There isn't hardly anywhere to lose weight from. In my opinion, get the power up and work on the suspension that way it handles well for it's weight and has a great power to weight ratio.

It's funny, people say that they are so heavy, but if you look around, street legal 400's are about the same weight, but have less power. The only time I notice the weight on my Pig is when loading it into the bed of my truck or on the rare occasion that I lay it over on the ground. Build some muscle and ride, or sell it and buy a CRF 250R if you want a light bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jond8

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:43 AM

I agree,
There isn't hardly anywhere to lose weight from. In my opinion, get the power up and work on the suspension that way it handles well for it's weight and has a great power to weight ratio.

It's funny, people say that they are so heavy, but if you look around, street legal 400's are about the same weight, but have less power. The only time I notice the weight on my Pig is when loading it into the bed of my truck or on the rare occasion that I lay it over on the ground. Build some muscle and ride, or sell it and buy a CRF 250R if you want a light bike.

Well put!

• HC

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:43 PM

yup. no cfr650 for me, if it will weigh a bunch less, it'll be a fragile RFS, unless some new breakthough happens, and that wont appear first on a big bore.

• XR_mad

Posted April 14, 2006 - 10:58 PM

"Putting an aftermarket exhuast on the 650R in an attempt to make it lose weight is like scraping the barnacles off the queen mary to save weight." :thumbsup:

different purpose to it though :thumbsup: a boat will save alot of fuel due to it less drag, and you will achieve a better power to weight ration on the pig, but yeah it is kinda pointless for weight loss

• creeky

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:06 AM

Have you ever heard the term "p*****g in the wind"? The most effective way I have to found to get the total weight package down is to go on a diet and wear the lightest riding gear I can find.

• XR_mad

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:24 AM

or he could put on weight so he can use it to throw the bikes weight around better :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.