XR650R shock lingage disassembly question

2 replies to this topic
  • MikeZ

Posted April 12, 2006 - 12:07 PM

OK. Two days, two lame questions. Thanks for the patience.

So I am regreasing everything in the swingarm pivot area. No problem. I have the linkage off. There are three sets of bearings in there.

I do have the service manual.

The pivot collars slide out no problem from swingarm and shock arm linkage. Once the pivot collars are out, I can regrease the needle bearings.

The one that attaches to the lower end of the shock, however won't come out. According to the manual, it has "side collars" in addition to a "pivot collar".

How does one remove these side collars. The manual just says to "remove the side collars" but they won't press out.

Thanks again...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggleXR650

Posted April 12, 2006 - 01:23 PM

If you are talking about what I think you are, then there is one on each side, shaped like a sideways "T" if that makes any sense. They are bushings with a larger outer lip. To remove them, they need to pulled out, not pushed in. Mine came off with my fingers, if they are stuck, a hook type tool should extract them.

Be sure to get into the upper shock mount/pivot/bearing area. This area was the worst on mine surprisingly. I've heard others have had the same experience.

Don't forget the steering head bearings. These REALLY need grease. There is a special tool for the lock ring, but it's not heavily torqued so a soft punch (aluminum/brass/plastic) and hammer should remove/install it with ease and without screwing things up around it.

Finally, don't worry about asking to many questions, that's what these places are for. Just try and do a quick search on the subject before you ask, as some topics are brought up every other day. I check this board multiple times per day and I for one am glad to help anybody I can. Ride on!

• MikeZ

Posted April 12, 2006 - 01:29 PM

Snaggle -

That's the one. I suspected they needed to pull, but was reluctant to use to much force or the wrong tool.

I will try with a piece of bent welding wire. If anyone has any great ideas for tools, I'd sure like to hear them.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.