Right footpeg

36 replies to this topic
  • Potts228

Posted April 14, 2006 - 07:57 AM

I wouldnt go play JC or henge as thats not their fix...

Hey didn't Childress just break a footpeg off early this year? :thumbsup:

• 4Takt

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:16 AM

Again, I'm wondering if Potts solution is suficient.

Do these bolts only break after they come lose? In other words, as long as my footpeg bolts are tight, am I in danger?

My bike is a little over a year old, I ride it a lot, and my footpeg bolts have never loosened a bit. Should I worry?

4Takt

• qadsan

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Yep, and it's not the 1st peg team honda has broken. I'm sure it happens more often to pegs that loose up, but that's not always the case. It would not be fun to have this happen at 40+ MPH in whoops or when flying off a drop off at 60+, etc.

• Potts228

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:06 AM

Again, I'm wondering if Potts solution is suficient.

Do these bolts only break after they come lose? In other words, as long as my footpeg bolts are tight, am I in danger?

My bike is a little over a year old, I ride it a lot, and my footpeg bolts have never loosened a bit. Should I worry?

4Takt

I would worry only because it can, has and does happen.

I'm not an engineer but the shear strength of the bolts holding the pegs on the pigs is something like 2,000lbs per bolt (grade 8). So you would have to apply 2,000lbs or more in a side to side motion (straight up and down) or more to break these bolts. Most of us weigh in around 175 to 250lbs so it's going to be very hard to break the bolts in this manner if the bolts are tight. It could happen if you hit a solid object (big rock). The problem is the peg bracket stands off to the side and gives a great deal of side load or leverage to the mounting area of the bracket. If the bolts stay tight, on paper, the bolts won't break. With the rocking motion on the aluminum frame mounting holes, there seems to be enough "stretch" so the bolts tend to come loose. When this happens, the leverage on the loose bolts is to much, a grade 8 bolt doesn't like to stretch and they break.

I had our engineer at work draw this up on his computer that will show mechanical failures and guess what...on his program, the Honda design is sound. Unfortunately, we know in the real world there is a problem.

My engineer actually told me grade 5 bolts could be safer as they will bend easier than grade 8 and not break as easily (but will also stretch easier which could cause them to loosen easier). My choice was to go with grade 8 and keep them tight.

The brackets that weld on the peg and cross over the frame are fine and certainly offer a safety net if the bolts break. I weld and could have taken this approach but felt the "through bolt" with the locking nut is enough.

I have had and witnessed loose peg bolts so I know the main problem is they come lose. On a two day trip I had to tighten the bolts twice and could see they were working their way loose. That is when I did something to stop it.

Just for peace of mind, I would do something just to be safe.

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 14, 2006 - 11:43 AM

03 XR 650.
2 rides between May 03 and September 03. Total mileage was less than 700 miles after 2nd ride was finished.
2nd ride, going over whoopeedos and right peg broke, sending me to the ground quickly.
Result was one fractured left wrist and a 135 mile ride home riding the pig (dual sported and in Baja)
I called Honda and they said I was the first to ever report this (9/03)

7, SEVEN friends all had XR 650s and had all broken this bolt at least once before they told me (after the fact). They didn't tell me before because all were hoping my bike would break. :thumbsup:

Checked tightness of bolt at end of each ride both rides and had SRC Shim kit in it as well.

If your bolt does ever break, dont come back here saying it happened to me for the first time. Your time will come eventually, just wait for it to happen.

Your in a very long line of broken right hand foot pegs on XR 650s. :thumbsup:

• Potts228

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:33 PM

Understand and misread your post...I know some guys thet have drilled the threads out (neighbor). I just used a tap, the same thread size and pitch as stock (maybe 8X1mm but not 100% sure now) to cause as little damage to the material as possible on the frame.

I posted the above from work and now that I am at home I double checked and the tap size needed is a 10 X 1mm. I know the longer allen bolt was hard to find and for some reason 65mm seems to come to mind on the length but I could be wrong on this so measure for yourself. I also remember that I had to use a die and thread more of the bolt as the shoulder was to long and wouldn't let the bolt screw all the way in to the frame as needed.

• Kritter

Posted April 15, 2006 - 07:20 AM

Yup... so even the PRICEY american honda fix isnt sufficient. The people not breaking the stock bolts dont ride hard enough or often enough...bottom line.

• Kritter

Posted April 15, 2006 - 07:36 AM

The brackets that weld on the peg and cross over the frame are fine and certainly offer a safety net if the bolts break. I weld and could have taken this approach but felt the "through bolt" with the locking nut is enough.

I am an engineer and I weld...and the through bolt isnt enough if you ride hard as that is what I tried first and it was a 7/16 thru bolt which has 23.5% larger area and it bent after a few rides.

The bigger problem is the tolerance on the peg holes...10mm bolts are just too small to keep the peg from walking...its like a hot dog down a hallway.

If you putt around...through bolt works fine...if you are putting down serious miles racing or prerunning...through bolt doesnt work fine and can be deadly.

American honda runs a through bolt so it appears factory but its what they do to the frame that costs the money...and it still breaks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_mad

Posted April 15, 2006 - 11:55 AM

gotta remember its an aluminium frame which flex's so of course its gonna break the 7/16 bolts

• MindBlower

Posted April 15, 2006 - 01:33 PM

What's with the aluminum flexes talk I see? Aluminum is known for stiffness over steel for a given task. Confused. (not the first time)

• Potts228

Posted April 15, 2006 - 03:50 PM

I am an engineer and I weld...and the through bolt isnt enough if you ride hard as that is what I tried first and it was a 7/16 thru bolt which has 23.5% larger area and it bent after a few rides.

The bigger problem is the tolerance on the peg holes...10mm bolts are just too small to keep the peg from walking...its like a hot dog down a hallway.

If you putt around...through bolt works fine...if you are putting down serious miles racing or prerunning...through bolt doesnt work fine and can be deadly.

American honda runs a through bolt so it appears factory but its what they do to the frame that costs the money...and it still breaks!

OK Kris, now my paranoia is going to set in and I'll be riding with my right foot off of the peg! See what you've done! :thumbsup: I guess I'm going to be doing some fabrication and welding tomorrow.

• XR_mad

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:46 AM

What's with the aluminum flexes talk I see? Aluminum is known for stiffness over steel for a given task. Confused. (not the first time)

i stand corrected :thumbsup: after looking around its actually the peg that flex's breaking the bolts. i think ill be doing the same and getting me dads welder out and making up something to wrap around the frame unless someone in aus knows where i can get it done for me like animalhousedesigns fix

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 16, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Campbell told us in Baja several years back not to use loctite on the bolts either. Better to fix the problem first before you ride, than wait for it to happen. Your choice really though. :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 16, 2006 - 02:13 PM

I have a rather thick aluminum skid plate on my bike and I was wondering if there might be a better way to do this without voiding your extended frame warranty. I like the kritter idea but how about adding a leg to the Critter fix that would allow you to drill a hole through the skid plate and a bolt through the added leg to the Critter design. It seems to me this would prevent the peg from falling off causing injury to you and it would keep your warranty intact.

In fact I am going to see if I can get this done.

• DanMc

Posted April 19, 2006 - 06:53 AM

I used a reamer to make the hole in the frame and the footpeg mount a 'tap in' fit for a 7/16 bolt. No relative movement between the peg mount and frame. Also used a bolt longer than needed so the shoulder of the bolt is way back in there. I can't see this setup breaking (but I could be wrong).

Dan

• Kritter

Posted April 19, 2006 - 10:57 AM

I have a rather thick aluminum skid plate on my bike and I was wondering if there might be a better way to do this without voiding your extended frame warranty. I like the kritter idea but how about adding a leg to the Critter fix that would allow you to drill a hole through the skid plate and a bolt through the added leg to the Critter design. It seems to me this would prevent the peg from falling off causing injury to you and it would keep your warranty intact.

In fact I am going to see if I can get this done.

something like this?
Posted Image

• ztsd

Posted April 21, 2006 - 08:54 PM

... 2nd ride, going over whoopeedos and right peg broke, sending me to the ground quickly. Result was one fractured left wrist and a 135 mile ride home riding the pig (dual sported and in Baja)

7, SEVEN friends all had XR 650s and had all broken this bolt at least once before they told me (after the fact). They didn't tell me before because all were hoping my bike would break. :thumbsup:

Ummm... Shouldn’t that be 7 EX-FRIENDS?

Friends don’t let Friends get hurt, that’s why we call them friends. People that let you get hurt are called ENEMIES! :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.