Quick Tuning ?

4 replies to this topic
  • CALVIN_KLEIN88

Posted April 12, 2006 - 08:09 AM

So I finally got my 06 wr450 broke in then did all the mods (air box, carb stuff, smog removal, pmb insert, grey wire, and a Boysen Quick Shot pump cover) and had it out yesterday for some fine tuning. Needless to say I am stoaked on the bike and with a little time setting the Mixture screw it is smooth throughout the throttle range and feels as snappy as my honda 450 it replaced. Here's the question.

When let off the gas there is a slight popping sound in the motor as it decelerates. Not an exhaust pop from the tailpipe, more like a pinging. It's only when off the gas and coming down from medium to high revs. I'm curiouse if that circuit might still be a little lean and that's what's causing it. This is the first TPS / ACV carb that I have dialed in so I'm also wondering if those systems might be causing it and this is just normal. Like I said the bike runs great otherwise... Jetting is a 168 main, 48 pilot, GYT-R needle 4th clip, stock leak, leak air, etc. riding at or near sea level. (El Centro, CA spots)

Thanks

Chris

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 12, 2006 - 08:50 AM

Check for a slight leak at the header.
Turn the fuel screw out another 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CALVIN_KLEIN88

Posted April 12, 2006 - 09:31 AM

Good point, new bike didn't even think to check there, thanks.

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 12, 2006 - 09:41 AM

Actually it may be the chain slapping the subframe/swingarm. The WR's are prone to that. Try adjusting the chain to the minimum slack and see if the noise goes away or changes.

• WGP

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:05 AM

I was gonna say the same thing...... Check the inside of your sub-frame for scratches where the chain is hitting, you seem to only hear it after you let off the throttle.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.