suspension setup?

5 replies to this topic
  • xr-jorger

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:26 AM

98' 600r, I weigh 223lbs, should be set up for me but feels really soft still even cranked down all the way, need help and links on where to go, thanks :thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted April 12, 2006 - 09:16 AM

What do you mean by "cranked down all the way?" At 223, you really need a stiffer spring. I weigh more than you do and have the same kind of issue. A new spring is not in the bike budget for me at this time, so I just put the preload on the stock spring to maximum. The manual lists a minimum length. That's where mine is set.

If you mean that you cranked the compression clicker, the one on the reservoir, all the way, then perhaps it's time for a rebuild. Maybe use a higher viscosity fluid.

XR600's are known for soft suspension. It's a trail bike not a motocrosser.

• creeky

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:03 AM

98' 600r, I weigh 223lbs, should be set up for me but feels really soft still even cranked down all the way, need help and links on where to go, thanks :thumbsup:

The stock suspension is just too soft for anyone over 180#. If you have some bucks to spend, talk to Factory Connection. I had a '96 HRC 628 with the FC suspension, fabulous stuff. If you want do a DIY, get some stiffer fork and shock springs, the supplier should be able to tell you which spring rate to use for your purposes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr-jorger

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:40 AM

by cranked I mean the resevoir is set all the way to hard and the rear shock is also all the way to hard, the shock was just rebuilt and the spring is for a 220lbs rider. with all that said it just feels tooooo soft, I ride mainly in Cal
city and doesnt seem to be stiff enough :thumbsup: . I dont expect it to be like my buddy's yzf426 but I dont think it should feel this "soft". should I go to an even stiffer spring since with gear Im pushing 235-240???? :thumbsup:

• Supplicate

Posted April 12, 2006 - 02:57 PM

by cranked I mean the resevoir is set all the way to hard and the rear shock is also all the way to hard

why would you do that? :thumbsup:

if this is for on the pavement, you need to get it -way- stiffer.

If it is for the dirt, you should actually tune your clickers instead of turning them in all the way :thumbsup:

btw, I just had my suspension revalved by Barnum's Pro, and let me tell you... its like riding on a giant pillow now. Its so soft and plush, its awesome.

• cleonard

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:42 PM

by cranked I mean the resevoir is set all the way to hard and the rear shock is also all the way to hard, the shock was just rebuilt and the spring is for a 220lbs rider. with all that said it just feels tooooo soft, I ride mainly in Cal
city and doesnt seem to be stiff enough :thumbsup: . I dont expect it to be like my buddy's yzf426 but I dont think it should feel this "soft". should I go to an even stiffer spring since with gear Im pushing 235-240???? :thumbsup:

Sounds like there is something wrong. If I turn my rebound in all the way the shock packs pretty bad in the whoops. I try and run the minimum amount of rebound so the rear doesn't act like a pogo stick. A click or two in or out made a noticeable difference. I've not messed with the compression clicker much, so I can't say.

Rebound is on the bottom of the shock. Compression is on the reservoir.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.