newbie to 4-stroke need help

6 replies to this topic
  • quadracing

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:49 AM

Well I just picked up a new left over 2005 yz450f and I have only rode it around for 10-15min so far it seems like it is really really hot....exhaust header is turning this all normal of a 4 do I know for sure it isn't running to hot??? thanks for all your help guys.

• fastenuf4u

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:01 AM

The header turning blue is normal if you run the bike fairly hard. Most pro's can turn their pipe blue in a matter of laps but for the rest of us it can take a bit longer. My bike always feels very hot when riding compared to my old two-strokes, just normal for 4 strokes I believe since they create alot more heat than 2-strokers.

Also, it should be noted if you let the bike sit and run for more than 1-2 minutes the header will glow orange/red which is normal, air passing over the pipe when riding cools it so you won't see this but doesn't if you are standing still.

• Motoxrdr450

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:08 AM

yea i just got a 06 crf450r and when i first started it up the pipe changed colors no big deal, they can overheat quick though if u just let it sit thier you will start to see coolant come out the overflow hose

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • quadracing

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:19 AM

Ok.....Thanks for all the help everyone....I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hurting my new baby at all....LOL

• yamahauler44

Posted April 12, 2006 - 08:47 AM

congrats on your new thumper, you will love it!

• Zique

Posted April 12, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, 4 strokes rule man. Keep an eye on the coolant though. If it is loosing a lot while you are sitting after a short ride, you may need to rejet; but most likely, you're okay.

• quadracing

Posted April 12, 2006 - 09:48 AM

I hope is alot different than a 2 stroke that I have always riden that is for sure

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.