Gray wire mod

36 replies to this topic
  • texas_hippie

Posted July 28, 2006 - 07:13 PM

The gray wire on the WR is what controls the rev limiter. If you cut it, it makes it run at the same level as the YZ. I have never had a YZF so i cant tell you for sure if it the YZF has the same gray wire. I'd say go to the YZF forum and ask a couple of the guys there.

Dude...you're a regular rocket scientist! One question...were you wearing a helmet the last time you crashed?

• MountainMax

Posted July 29, 2006 - 11:46 AM

Salesmen are like this all over, not just for Bike Dealers, I don't think the older WR's had the Grey wire as they were not restricted like the 05/06 ones were right?

• YZ250F_Rider19

Posted July 29, 2006 - 07:08 PM

I just want to be clear about this before I do anything to my friends bike, is the grey wire mod ok for the WR450's or the WR250's only?

• BLACK_BONES

Posted July 29, 2006 - 08:26 PM

yes for the wr450 and yes for 250.
http://www.thumperfa...m/free_mods.htm

• byggd

Posted July 30, 2006 - 05:00 AM

Salesmen are like this all over, not just for Bike Dealers, I don't think the older WR's had the Grey wire as they were not restricted like the 05/06 ones were right?

That is incorrect. My 02 wr426 has a grey wire and I think the wr had the wire at least back to the 98 400.

• Turismo

Posted July 30, 2006 - 05:32 AM

I always get a kick out of how some 20 ish kid working at a dealer thinks he knows more about bikes than a guy whos been riding them longer than "THE KID" has been alive.

That's funny, seeing that the current crop of "high tech" bikes have only been out for a few years.

Now back to programming that DVD player........

• Beejay

Posted July 30, 2006 - 06:48 AM

That's funny, seeing that the current crop of "high tech" bikes have only been out for a few years.

Now back to programming that DVD player........

From the mouths of babes, you have just told everyone how much you know about bikes & their workings :thumbsup:
Stick to programming DVD's, you're not a bike salesman are you?

• Turismo

Posted July 30, 2006 - 07:14 AM

From the mouths of babes, you have just told everyone how much you know about bikes & their workings :thumbsup:
Stick to programming DVD's, you're not a bike salesman are you?

Nice to see the sarcasm went over your head.........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • A-ron

Posted September 07, 2006 - 12:28 PM

The only change I noticed after disconnecting my gray wire, is that I max out in 5th gear (on the road) way sooner than I did prior to disconnecting it. Here is my question: Can I reconnect the gray wire and regain my top end, without altering the other mods I have done (i.e. throttle stop/airbox/AIS)?

• OneToGo

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:13 AM

The only change I noticed after disconnecting my gray wire, is that I max out in 5th gear (on the road) way sooner than I did prior to disconnecting it. Here is my question: Can I reconnect the gray wire and regain my top end, without altering the other mods I have done (i.e. throttle stop/airbox/AIS)?

Did you actually measure the speed at which you "max out in 5th gear"?
I dont mean to be disrespectful but the grey wire connected will NOT give you a higher rev limit...!!!
The OEM CDI maxes at 10800rpm but the motor will not be pulling hard at that rpm - if you get there in 5th which I doubt...
What you may be experiencing is the bike is reaching its top speed FASTER with the grey wire pulled because it WILL produce more power - i.e. get there faster. Unless I am a complete idiot the WR will not go faster with the gray wire connected. The only way you will get the WR motor to rev higher is alter the ignition maps and beef up the valve gear, piston and rod.... Otherwise, the WR engine max power is around 9500rpm...way short of the rev limit and nowhere near 10800...
:thumbsup:

• A-ron

Posted September 08, 2006 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info...no I have not measured anything. I'm just going off of feel. It seems as though I could go 65-70 mph before rapping out, whereas now it feels like 50-55 is my top speed. I just assumed that was related to my gray wire mod. Apparently I was mistaken...thanks again for the clarification.

Any ideas why my top end might be lower now?

• MNMike

Posted September 08, 2006 - 08:18 AM

The gray wire on the WR is what controls the rev limiter. If you cut it, it makes it run at the same level as the YZ. I have never had a YZF so i cant tell you for sure if it the YZF has the same gray wire. I'd say go to the YZF forum and ask a couple of the guys there.

You're thinking of the sky-blue wire. Rev limiter in neutral.

• swells454

Posted September 08, 2006 - 10:04 AM

Speaking of misinformation....my local Yamaha dealer told me today that they don't make a #40 leak jet for my 04 wr450! I even gave him the part # and he said it wouldn't come up.
The "other" Yamaha dealer across town didn't have any problem pulling up the #...but at first he said the same thing (they didn't make one). He also questioned me messing w/ the jetting and still wasn't convinced that what I really wanted wasn't a pilot jet since he'd never heard of a leak jet.
AAARRGGHH!

• TheCure

Posted September 08, 2006 - 10:39 AM

Hey guys;

We just finished all the mods on my pops 06 WR. The gray wire was our last monkey wrenching and we sort of hemmed and hawed about it. I didn't want to CUT it, being his brand new scoot in the last 20 years.

You don't need to cut it, there are a few threads on here about pulling the insert out. It's easy to do...

As you look at the open female side of the 6 pin connector with the gray wire in the harness, you'll notice the metal plugs are square, AND tiny. Right above each plug is a small plastic tab. By pushing that tab up and away from the metal pin and simultaneously pushing the plug out, you remove the gray wire from the 6 pin harness without any cutting or damage. Its easy to do. I used a small screwdrive (like to fix glasses with ) to push the plastic tab up, and another screwdrive to push the pin out. Then you just take it up to keep it isolated from shorting. And plug you open hole with silicone or a wad of tape also.

This way of gray wire modding is useful so you can return it to stock should you decide it makes the bike TOO powerful, which some have said after taking a ride on this rocket ship of a dirt bike;that its now too fast. :thumbsup: :applause:

Hey,

That's a helluva a good idea. I hear people say 'cut' it, but I like the idea of disconnecting it cleanly with the ability to put it back together to factory settings should I decide to sell my bike.

• OneToGo

Posted September 08, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the info...no I have not measured anything. I'm just going off of feel. It seems as though I could go 65-70 mph before rapping out, whereas now it feels like 50-55 is my top speed. I just assumed that was related to my gray wire mod. Apparently I was mistaken...thanks again for the clarification.

Any ideas why my top end might be lower now?

THROTTLE STOP??

The WR comes with a restricted stop and this will limit the speed by restricting the opening - max speed about 110kmh /65mph.
That may be the problem if you have not done this MOD.
If not, do a search on throttle stop or go to www.thumperfaq.com

PS. The WR should do around 140-150kph with all mods done with std gearing :applause:

• OneToGo

Posted September 08, 2006 - 06:24 PM

Hey,

That's a helluva a good idea. I hear people say 'cut' it, but I like the idea of disconnecting it cleanly with the ability to put it back together to factory settings should I decide to sell my bike.

FOR INFO - those who are new..

You can add a switch and switch between maps too...
BUT you have to shut the bike down and repower the CDI to read the new map.
Some have done this in the past and had mixed success.
I replaced my CDI with a Vortex that gives you 2 selectable maps on the fly.
Maps are preselectable from a set of 10...($$$ though)
Some Factory teams use Vortex and they do give the edge, I also run an Iridium plug which feels different - crisper, raspier...

• spunalot

Posted July 28, 2007 - 04:57 PM

I have just purchased a 99 WR400 and cant seem to find our gray wire. I put a factory pipe and need to make this mod.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.