Gray wire mod

36 replies to this topic
  • stmpjumper01

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:04 AM

What is the gray wire mod? I've got a YZ and YFZ, both 04. Which bike can I do it on? I bought a YZ carb and put it on the YFZ, and they are jetted the same. It looks like they both have gray wires in the bundle of wires going to the TPS. Will it work on both and what are the benefits?

Stumpy

• metalmaster117

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:00 AM

the grey wire is for the wr the yz and yzf already are set too what the wr would be if u cut the grey wire

• DezRaCeR249

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:52 AM

itll work on the yzf/wr that i know of

• freestyle250

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:58 AM

The gray wire on the WR is what controls the rev limiter. If you cut it, it makes it run at the same level as the YZ. I have never had a YZF so i cant tell you for sure if it the YZF has the same gray wire. I'd say go to the YZF forum and ask a couple of the guys there.

• clark4131

Posted April 12, 2006 - 12:25 PM

The gray wire on the WR is what controls the rev limiter.

Where do you get your information??!!!??? :thumbsup: It absolutely DOES NOT control the rev limiter. The CDI essentially has two ignition maps, a YZ version for use when the WR has an uncorked exhaust, opened airbox and YZ throttle stop. The second version of the map is for corked up, non free-modded bikes. It retards the ignition timing in the mid and upper rev range to compensate for the de-tuned condition the bike comes in from the factory. Once you free mod the bike, you cut the grey wire to allow for the increased fuel and air the bike is now pumping. Cutting the grey wire is for use on the WR, not the YZ, but if you want to cut it... :thumbsup:...SC

• jchantzWR400F

Posted April 12, 2006 - 01:15 PM

Where do you get your information??!!!??? :confused: It absolutely DOES NOT control the rev limiter. The CDI essentially has two ignition maps, a YZ version for use when the WR has an uncorked exhaust, opened airbox and YZ throttle stop. The second version of the map is for corked up, non free-modded bikes. It retards the ignition timing in the mid and upper rev range to compensate for the de-tuned condition the bike comes in from the factory. Once you free mod the bike, you cut the grey wire to allow for the increased fuel and air the bike is now pumping. Cutting the grey wire is for use on the WR, not the YZ, but if you want to cut it... :thumbsup:...SC

Exactly what he said. Man it's funny how information gets out there. :thumbsup:

• odonnks

Posted April 12, 2006 - 01:18 PM

Yeah !

• freestyle250

Posted April 12, 2006 - 01:32 PM

Where do you get your information??!!!??? :thumbsup:

South Valley Motorsports. The guy that looks like Buzz Lightyear. Thought it might have been a trustworthy source, apparently not.

• clark4131

Posted April 12, 2006 - 04:08 PM

Yamaha Cardinal Rule #1...NEVER take what a guy from a dealership says as gospel. It is almost always wrong, and, at the very least, suspect. Now you know, Grasshopper :thumbsup: ...SC

• Kamik

Posted April 12, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Yamaha Cardinal Rule #1...NEVER take what a guy from a dealership says as gospel. It is almost always wrong, and, at the very least, suspect. Now you know, Grasshopper :thumbsup: ...SC

when i bought my bike the salesman said the bike will rev to about 14000rpm, i just nodded and smiled. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneToGo

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:09 PM

when i bought my bike the salesman said the bike will rev to about 14000rpm, i just nodded and smiled. :thumbsup:

Just reinforces the BS level of understanding from A LOT of sales people 9not all)

I think as individuals they are fine people, but IMHO, the average Joe on TT knows more than your "run of the mill" dealer person. The number of times I have talked to dealers / sales people and wondered how they got the job? - I know! they just want to sell bikes...

• Arnaud

Posted April 15, 2006 - 08:00 AM

Is this the grey wire you're talking about:
Posted Image

Is it ok to make make this mod if the exhaust is still 'original' on my WR450 '05 or is it absolutely required to modify this too?

Thanks!
Arnaud.

• dl19

Posted April 15, 2006 - 06:07 PM

Mine didn't know my 05 WR had a air pump, and thought it had a aluminum frame with "a new 5 speed transmission"!!!!. NO F%$*@ng SH*&^!!!! That should not surprise most of you, but hopefully someone will learn. Always take a experienced and knowledgeable person with you to put a stop to a salesman and their line of crap.

• Numskull

Posted April 15, 2006 - 08:25 PM

The Grey wire is the wire that Yamaha put on the WR's to retard the ignition timing. If you have a WR, you can cut the Grey wire, thus giving you a more rapid response to your throttle, more rpm's, more hoarse power, you get the idea.

Basically, if you cut the Grey wire you will have mapped your cdi the same as the YZ. The ignition will advance, and you will see the difference. There is nothing wrong with the WR ignition timing though. So check it out, and decide for yourself :thumbsup:

• Arnaud

Posted April 16, 2006 - 01:02 AM

Yep, that point is clear! :thumbsup:
But is the grey wire one I indicated in the picture?
Posted Image

Thanks,
Arnaud.

• byggd

Posted April 16, 2006 - 03:18 AM

Yep, that point is clear! :thumbsup:
But is the grey wire one I indicated in the picture?
Posted Image

Thanks,
Arnaud.

Looks like we have a winner!! Yes, that is the correct wire. Click on figure #4
http://www.thumperfa...m/gray_wire.htm

• WR_Dave

Posted April 16, 2006 - 04:46 AM

I always get a kick out of how some 20 ish kid working at a dealer thinks he knows more about bikes than a guy whos been riding them longer than "THE KID" has been alive. They just want to sell bikes with whatever crap they can get you to believe. A salesman at my local dealership was overheard telling a customer that a WR250 is the wrong choice for the trail and that a 125 2 smoke is the ultimate bush bike. Nuff said---WR Dave.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 16, 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hey guys;

We just finished all the mods on my pops 06 WR. The gray wire was our last monkey wrenching and we sort of hemmed and hawed about it. I didn't want to CUT it, being his brand new scoot in the last 20 years.

You don't need to cut it, there are a few threads on here about pulling the insert out. It's easy to do...

As you look at the open female side of the 6 pin connector with the gray wire in the harness, you'll notice the metal plugs are square, AND tiny. Right above each plug is a small plastic tab. By pushing that tab up and away from the metal pin and simultaneously pushing the plug out, you remove the gray wire from the 6 pin harness without any cutting or damage. Its easy to do. I used a small screwdrive (like to fix glasses with ) to push the plastic tab up, and another screwdrive to push the pin out. Then you just take it up to keep it isolated from shorting. And plug you open hole with silicone or a wad of tape also.

This way of gray wire modding is useful so you can return it to stock should you decide it makes the bike TOO powerful, which some have said after taking a ride on this rocket ship of a dirt bike;that its now too fast. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• CISCO

Posted April 16, 2006 - 08:15 PM

Yamaha Cardinal Rule #1...NEVER take what a guy from a dealership says as gospel. It is almost always wrong, and, at the very least, suspect. Now you know, Grasshopper :confused: ...SC

Not all dealers service personell are morons......but most sales men are :thumbsup:

Come see me sometime and we can talk tech :thumbsup:

• CoWr_400rider

Posted July 28, 2006 - 01:02 PM

Okay I am either blind or stupid or maybe both but I cannot seem to see a gray wire in my '98's wiring harness. I guess I will back and look again. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.