What causes scaring on intake cylinder wall?

2 replies to this topic
  • nitro201

Posted April 12, 2006 - 02:51 AM

Hello everyone!

I would like to find out more info since, I'm not getting it from my mechanic. What causes scaring on the intake cylinder wall on Yamaha YZ426 motor?

My crank was off by .010 so my mechanic trued the crank back to .001 . Would this cause my motor to run very hot and cause my piston hit the cylinder wall on the intake side?

Has anyone else experience this same problem
Please let me know
:thumbsup:

YZ426 motor if this helps

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PK

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:11 AM

Dirt getting past the air filter usually is the cause. When I've torn my bikes apart in the past, if the motor has many hours on it, you'll see this. When changing the air filter, it's crucial to be careful not to let any dirt drop in the air intake.

• nitro201

Posted April 12, 2006 - 04:51 PM

Dirt getting past the air filter usually is the cause. When I've torn my bikes apart in the past, if the motor has many hours on it, you'll see this. When changing the air filter, it's crucial to be careful not to let any dirt drop in the air intake.

I change my air filter after every ride and this motor has less than 5 hours since last rebuilt, which I was told. But I noticed this motor had the same wear marks as it did on the last cylinder, which came with this engine.

Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.