XR650R jetting info

10 replies to this topic
  • zipskip

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Hello all,
I've been having problems with jetting and needle adjustments. I'm at about 5000' above sea level and my burp has been modified with jet (80) and needle (HRC) intake manifold, header and pipe with the air box opened up. I've tried many different adjustments, changing jet sizes, adjusting needle setting etc.. The problem is that once it warms up it "chokes" and dies, only extra throttle keeps it running. Oh yea, she is an 05 and I bought it new and this just happened after opening the airbox and changing the jet. Reversing the procedure would be difficult, air box is drilled out. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! A good guess is welcome too! Thanks...

• BigBoreRacing

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:35 PM

[COLOR=Red]I'm @ about 4,500 ft. and I run the 68s and a 175 with the needle clip in the 2nd position(from the top)with about the same mods as you mentioned...(I tried the 3rd position and it flooded out in tight low idle spots(Sounds like your problem)) what position is your needle clip in?
Good luck
Oh...FYI be carefull with the "slide" screws..thier really soft and strip easy. :thumbsup: [/COLOR]

• surfnride

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:38 PM

I think you meant 180 mainjet..not 80... it's necessary to also change the pilot jet--or "slow jet" same thing...70s part # 99105-mbn0700

the clip on the needle should work well in the 4th position--2nd from the bottom.

180 main might be a little much...175 might be the ticket..

good luck..Ron

• malevolent73

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:39 PM

I think you need to clarify things a little bit for us... you stated "jet (80) and needle (HRC) intake manifold". Which jet are you talking about, pilot, or main? which needle do you have? I get the part about the HRC intake, because that is standard when un-corking the BRP. When you say header and pipe, did you mean an aftermarket system... if so which one? If you can add a little clarification as to what you've got, I'm sure that the BRP TT'ers can get your jetting issues straitened out...

• zipskip

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:20 AM

The main jet is a 180 which I agree with surfnride that it may be to much. The main needle was changed out by the Honda mechanic (I had them do the original uncorking before ever taking it home) so I don't have part numbers. I guess I could search it out on the receipt?? I've tried the 2nd, 3rd and 4th clip position on the main needle. When Honda did the uncorking I also had them put on a White Bros 2 pipe. I added XR's Only SS headers and drilled out the side panel to the airbox. Everything was fine until I started trying to get the 180 main jet tweaked in by adjusting the needle. I may just go back to the 68s and wait for a new pumper?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ramcc4x4

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:47 AM

A 180 main jet sounds too rich for 5000 ft. I would try a 175 main jet, 68s pilot jet, needle in the middle position, and start fuel screw at 2 turns and make sure both the plastic piece and rubber piece have been removed from the airbox. My XR650R ran a 185 main jet and 70s pilot jet near sea level with an open side panel, header, and pipe.

Lastly, do you have a UNI filter or are you still running the stock air filter?

• Max Power

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:26 AM

The main jet is a 180 which I agree with surfnride that it may be to much. The main needle was changed out by the Honda mechanic (I had them do the original uncorking before ever taking it home) so I don't have part numbers. I guess I could search it out on the receipt?? I've tried the 2nd, 3rd and 4th clip position on the main needle. When Honda did the uncorking I also had them put on a White Bros 2 pipe. I added XR's Only SS headers and drilled out the side panel to the airbox. Everything was fine until I started trying to get the 180 main jet tweaked in by adjusting the needle. I may just go back to the 68s and wait for a new pumper?

I think you are way rich for 5000 feet. Look HERE.

• zipskip

Posted April 12, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Its a Uni-filter... I had the 175/68s set-up and it ran fine, just not "exceptional". I think to really clarify things I've been trying to tweak everything up for as much performance (speed, response, etc...) without going to a pumper. I thought the 180/68s might do the trick with the added air/fuel mix. I've read from others that this didn't work for them but thought it was worth a try. Gas in plus the right amount of air and a little tweaking should equal better performance... I guess I may try the 180/70s then 175/70s and go from there. From what everyone says I'll probably end up back at the 175/68s and wait for Santa to bring me the pumper. Anybody know if the Easter Bunny delivers pumpers?? LOL. Thanks everybody!

• zipskip

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Thanx Maxpower.. but been there done that. I've actually run into a new problem. I've gone back to to the 175/68s set-up and now the carb dumps fuel out of the over flow whenever it is leaned over in a turn (or sitting in the drive way with me leaning it over). I'm "leaning" toward the Easter Bunny fix... If you missed it I was waiting for Santa to bring me a pumper but it now may fall into the furry bunny's realm. LOL. The fuel leakage could just be a mis-aligned gasket, but as long as the Little Lady doesn't find out, the Easter Bunny may come through. Any input and thoughts are still appreciated. I'm just an old man going from a CR250 to the XR650R trying to, forgive me for saying this, slow down?? I may even opt for the HRC Power Up Kit too, plus the pumper. After all the PIG has 5000 miles on her... and I've had to change tires, new chain guard, install a new shark fin, new skid plate, etc... some several times. Did I say "slow down"?

More horse power is synonymous with more fire power... Still the same thing.... Let God sort out the dead. Who will be the first to mount a 50 caliber on a BRP?

• Ramcc4x4

Posted April 13, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Maybe part of the problem is in the float adjustment. That could also explain why it's not running as good after it was opened up. The pumper carbs are good (I have an Edelbrock myself) but I did have my stock carb working great when I took it off. I just couldn't resist the "extra power" people claimed the Edelbrock makes.

I would take the stock carb off and check the float setting and make sure the needle and seat are functioning properly.

• zipskip

Posted April 14, 2006 - 05:29 AM

I completely torn the carb apart, rechecked everything. I didn't find anything wrong so I double checked everything again. I put it all back together and only get hints of the original problem. It's hard to tell if it's "fixed" until I can take it out in the dirt. Neighborhood streets just aren't a good test zone. After all the fuss and muss I still have not seen a problem. After going back to the set-up that worked it still had the problem. Now it seems to be OK after reinstalling everything. I would still appreciate any ideas just to try and figure out what was going on. I would hate to find myself 50 miles out and have it die!!
Thanx to all

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.