my friend needs help

18 replies to this topic
  • marlbroman

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:20 PM

one of my ridding partners has a yz 01 426.when he stalls on the trail we useually get off our bikes and watch him kick and scream at his bike.makes me tired.whats the fix for better starting of this bike.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:26 PM

does it have the hot start lever down by the carb. If so, is he using it?

• marlbroman

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:34 PM

he dose all the procedurs of stating that the manuel says.we all tried to start it for him.hard to start.bike is jetted whitebros pipe.

• T H O R

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:37 PM

The hotstart don't work? That's what its made for, once the bikes all warmed up and hot, and it's a pain to kick over, flip that little lever, and boom, starts right up. Does he have one? You really didn't anwser Black n Blue's question.

• meyer fire

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:34 PM

I Remember This All Too Well, He Should Be Using His Hot Start For Sure. Kick The Bike Until Its At Top Dead Center Not Using The Decompressing Lever, Then Pull The Decompressing Lever Just To Get Pass The First Hard Spot And Then Kick It Thru If All Else Fails Hold The Throttle Wide Open And Start Again A #1 Just Be Careful When Kicking With Throttle Open Kick Starter Has A Tendencie To Kick Back At You.

• marlbroman

Posted April 12, 2006 - 04:43 PM

yes theres a hot start and he uses it

• Butta

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Just because "bike is jetted" doesn't mean it's jetted correctly. Sounds like it's a little off on the jetting and the technique is flawed. Be careful with touching the throttle when trying to start these bikes, I've never had to kick one with the throttle wide open. On the pre-'03 models (before auto decomp) if it stalls and doesn't fire up on the first couple kicks, hold the decomp lever in and kick it through several times to "clear" the cylinder; then hold the hot start and kick just past TDC with a healthy kick and it should fire right up. If not, check the filter and jetting, 'cause "sumfin ain't right"

• yogist

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:58 PM

Valves need to in spec...
Jetting needs to be correct..

• Zique

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Note: The hot start procedure is only for after you've dumped the bike or it is otherwise flooded.

Like "Butta" said, pull out hot start, hold in decomp, kick through (it doesn't have to be that hard, just go all the way through the stroke) 3-4 times, allow kick start to come back up, release decomp, then just give 'er a good kick. I don't know how it works for others, but in my experience DON'T GIVE IT ANY THROTTLE!! These bikes flood really easy!

Last thing...after it is started, don't ride or rev it hard w/ the hot start on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shanedut

Posted April 13, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Mine used to be like that too. Re-jetting it from what it was stock, getting an adjustable fuel screw helped a lot. Another thing that can help with starting is to set the idle a little higher. My guess would be that he needs to adjust the fuel screw and start with that, then the pilot and so on. And before ya start jetting it clean the carb out good and install a clean airfilter. My bike sometimes requires just a little throttle and not much just barely moved. And that is usually when it is cold.

• new2blu

Posted April 13, 2006 - 06:18 PM

Does the bike pop thru the exhaust on de-accel? If so the jetting is lean and will cause hard starting issues. You could possibly have a valve clearance issue---may want to check the valve clearance just to be sure.

• yzf450jack

Posted April 13, 2006 - 06:45 PM

Put a PowerNow and a decompression cam in The bike will start with your hand :thumbsup:

• kid on a 426

Posted April 13, 2006 - 08:02 PM

Sounds like a pilot screw problem to me. Try adjusting it sometime. My other guess would be is that the sparkplug is just old. When I first got my bike it didn't start for crap until I switched out my plug for a new ngk and adjusted the pilot. The plug that was in it was stock and super rusty and the tip had carbon on it. My bro's bike also starts much easier with a new plug. If is still hard to start after that then check the valves or it could be flooded. The un-flooding technique for this bike is hold it wide open pull in the de comp cam and kick it through 20 times and then that shouldve gotten all the extra gas out. If THAT fails then he's probably lost compresion and a new piston and rings

• Zique

Posted April 13, 2006 - 08:06 PM

Does the bike pop thru the exhaust on de-accel? If so the jetting is lean and will cause hard starting issues. You could possibly have a valve clearance issue---may want to check the valve clearance just to be sure.

I thought the exhaust poping on decel meant it was rich?

• 2fastwhitey

Posted April 13, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Yea if its popping on decel it is rich.... I would try a few things. Having a 426 myself DONT try any of this bullsh*t of holding the throttle wide open, NEVER, unless he doesn't want to ride it that day.

The procedure for starting this bi*ch is simple. Still in gear rock it back and forth to loosen up the clutch plates to make it easier to fire. Next, without the comp lever pulled find the hard spot, then pull the decomp lever to get it just past TDC(dont kick it through). Return the kick start to the top and with one smooth motion kick the starter all the way down to the foot peg. I use the balls of my feet but if your shorter you might want to use the heel. But it has to be a fast hard kick or it won't fire. The best advice I can give is to tell him to get this down at home!! It is way less frustrating and can save you a lot of cussing out on the trail.

Still I think it is something mechanical. I run a NGK CR8EIX, an Iridium plug, on mine and it starts alot easier than it ever did before. Next thing is pull out(physically remove from the bike) the hot start and clean it out. If its been a while you might want to clean the carb all together. On mine I don't use it anymore but these things tend to get corroded and build up a lot of crap on the FCR.

How does this bike sound? And does this only happen when its warm or is it always hard to start? Is he dumping the bike and having a hard time starting it?(That is a common issue, lean the bike on its left side and let the gas drain out of the floats, and it will still be a bitch to start, then you have to do the few kick through method).

• Butta

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:58 AM

Yea if its popping on decel it is rich.....

Hmmm, not true. Popping on decel is a lean condition, usually fixed by adjusting the fuel screw OUT (enriching it). IF that doesn't work, possible air leaks (like at the header/mid pipe connection) could be the cause. It's amazing how much fine tuning you can do with an adjustable fuel screw, and how much difference it makes on how the bike runs.

A little popping on decel is normal, as the process of "chopping the throttle" in itself drives the temporary lean condition. Excessive popping needs to be corrected.

• 2fastwhitey

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:31 PM

Hmmm, not true. Popping on decel is a lean condition, usually fixed by adjusting the fuel screw OUT (enriching it).

How is that? Popping on decel is caused by what then, buddy? Popping or backfiring is caused by buring unburnt fuel in the exhaust causing a pop. But the only way to have extra fuel to burn would be if it was running rich. Sorry

• kid on a 426

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:42 PM

How is that? Popping on decel is caused by what then, buddy? Popping or backfiring is caused by buring unburnt fuel in the exhaust causing a pop. But the only way to have extra fuel to burn would be if it was running rich. Sorry

Oxygen gets in the exaust and it combusts with the unburnt gas is what my guess would be(but I really have no idea if that is right you should ask BURNED). I am positive that popping=lean and sputtering on the gas=rich.

Having a 426 myself DONT try any of this bullsh*t of holding the throttle wide open, NEVER, unless he doesn't want to ride it that day.

I guess you've never tried to start a flooded bike

• marlbroman

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:46 PM

well the bike was bought with a pipe so dont know the jetting.maybe a jet kit is needed to know for sure its right.whats the best kit.valves are getting checked.bike had about 5 rides up and down the street by prev. owner.now maybee 100hrs or so.are all the 426 hard starting bikes?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.