Dent in stock muffler?

21 replies to this topic
  • T H O R

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:46 PM

I was looking close at the pics I took of my bike:

http://www.ronronmx....pic.php?t=40203

And I noticed a small dent on bottom of my stock muffler, I was wondering if anyone else has that on there 06? I was also looking at this photo from Yamaha's site and found that it has one in this pic also:

http://www.yamaha-mo...06/450f_800.jpg

So I was wondering if thats normal?

Another thing, I bought some Amsoil grease, and was wondering what I should keep greased pretty good before each ride. I also put my ORV sticker on my fork, right under my bars, instend of the rear fender (don't want to clutter my Limited Edition plastics with stickers), is that where most of you put your ORV stickers?

Thanks.

• Blaster21996

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:57 PM

I was looking close at the pics I took of my bike:

http://www.ronronmx....pic.php?t=40203

And I noticed a small dent on bottom of my stock muffler, I was wondering if anyone else has that on there 06? I was also looking at this photo from Yamaha's site and found that it has one in this pic also:

http://www.yamaha-mo...06/450f_800.jpg

So I was wondering if thats normal?

Another thing, I bought some Amsoil grease, and was wondering what I should keep greased pretty good before each ride. I also put my ORV sticker on my fork, right under my bars, instend of the rear fender (don't want to clutter my Limited Edition plastics with stickers), is that where most of you put your ORV stickers?

Thanks.

Yep! My 06 has the same dent! And so does my 05 YZ250F

• NOMADAK

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:00 PM

They all come that way.

It is manufactured that way (pre-dented:confused::thumbsup: ) to allow for the suspension to be completely bottomed out and the pipe not hit the rear brake assembly. :thumbsup:

You should grease your steering stem, rear linkage and both axles!

I sure will be glad when a manufacturer will finally fit zerk grease fittings to the rear linkage so that you can just hit them with a grease gun.

• yamaharider324

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:08 PM

i have that on my 03 yz250f to. BTW sweet bike

• T H O R

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:11 PM

Okay cool. Thats a weight off my shoulders, thinking I got a defect. Hah.

So grease up the Steering stem, rear linkage, and both axles? Shouldn't that be fine for right now though, seeing my Dealer should have when they got it in the crate?

• NOMADAK

Posted April 11, 2006 - 11:22 PM

Shoulda, woulda, coulda but It is very doubtful the dealer did anything other than put the front tire on and gas it up.

Read around on other threads about newer bikes. There is a small amount of grease on these items from the factory but it is woefully inadequate for actually using the bike for it's intended purposes. They use the grease sparingly for several reasons (epa, customs, etc). Since it is a race bike, they expect a good owner to go over their bike and inspect it closely, set it up for themselves and grease these items on their own. A racer is going to have to perform this duty on a cycle several times throughout a season to keep the bike working up to it's potential. Look carefully in your supplied service manual at service intervals (pages 3-1, 3-2, 3-3).

• T H O R

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Will do so!

Thanks, and yeah your right, since it's a race bike they expect the owner to know what there doing, I havent bought a NEW bike in awhile, so I sort of forgot about that. It's no big deal, I got plenty of time to go though my bike, lube stuff up, what about jetting, can anyone explain how to jet my bike? I have no idea. I will look at my manual today, see what that explains for me.

-Mike

• Zique

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:56 AM

I havent bought a NEW bike in awhile, so I sort of forgot about that.

You should still go through (maybe even more so) a used bike when you buy it as well. You almost never know how well the previous owner(s) took care of it before you.

• T H O R

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:00 AM

True, it's just been awhile since I rode, peroid.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:10 AM

True, it's just been awhile since I rode, peroid.

Well you picked a great bike to get back into the swing of it.....be careful they are awesome bikes period!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yami racer

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:38 AM

Second the Be Careful...I just got back in from a 3 year hiatus and have been thrown off the back of the bike twice. This bike is un-real and I can't wait until I can actual harness and use all its power properly....Have fun with it...As for jetting most of us went with the 48 pilot and 170 main to start and are fine tuning it from there.

• T H O R

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:53 AM

Yeah. I told my Dad about the Jetting, he refuses to change it until after the first hour of break-in, because the dealership told him that, and he thinks you guys don't know...hes not a big computer guy and don't relize whos on here.

If my plugs white, thats too lean, and Im going to adjust it from there.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:03 PM

And I noticed a small dent on bottom of my stock muffler, I was wondering if anyone else has that on there 06?

Yeah, and your header is gonna glow red too! :thumbsup:

• SureBlue

Posted April 13, 2006 - 12:16 AM

http://www.thumperta...ight=white plug

• T H O R

Posted April 13, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Yeah, and your header is gonna glow red too! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was reading that.

And Sureblue. Thanks for that thread, I guess I will just have to go by my troubleshooting to find out if I need it rejetted (Bogging, Popping, etc...).

• SureBlue

Posted April 13, 2006 - 07:21 AM

De nada, I can sense you're a good young man. Don't hurt yourself with the bike.
And read the manual... :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2006 - 08:08 AM

You can't read spark plugs without leaded fuel and expect to see anything but white. Give up the mythology and jet based on how it runs, by gas analyzer/dyno results, or based on the experiences of others with the same model and locality specifics.

There's a 'sticky'
At The Top of the Index

• T H O R

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:09 AM

You can't read spark plugs without leaded fuel and expect to see anything but white. Give up the mythology and jet based on how it runs, by gas analyzer/dyno results, or based on the experiences of others with the same model and locality specifics.

There's a 'sticky'
At The Top of the Index

Yeah, sure that says it. But right in the manual, under the troubleshooting. It says "Spark Plug: White- Too Lean, move clip so it is richer."

Or something along those lines...And this is my manual for my 450f.

But thanks for pointing out that sticky. Helped.

• FFRacing79

Posted April 13, 2006 - 02:44 PM

All the Michigan riders I know put the ORV sticker on a piece of PVC pipe that has a cut in it. Then you snap it over the front forks and can change it from bike to bike! Works great. Tdub

• viking_in_wa

Posted April 13, 2006 - 08:02 PM

my riding buddy has a stock muffler and header for your bike, if you need one PM me and i will see if he will part with it. These are almost brand new, he bought new titanium system when the bike was only hours old.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.