Buying A '06 Xr650r

13 replies to this topic
  • Lanerman

Posted April 11, 2006 - 04:35 PM

Hey guys im buying a 2006 XR650R anything to look out for? And i also was wondering if i could get s few links to sites with accessories for me to make it street legal. Thanx for the help guys! Lanerman

• 2000 xr650r

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:29 PM

Check out bajadesigns.com. I got one on my bike. there are other cheap kits out there also but i like these.

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Well, the footpeg fix is one. I can't remember the site, but I think its something like animalhousedesigns.net? Theres also a precision concepts one I think, but I beleive its a little more costly. I'm pretty sure the countershaft seal has been fixed by now too. Theres another site on here that has all the weaknesses of the 650R pointed out, but I forgot what it was. There wasn't many, just a couple, like the footpeg, and the countershaft seal.

Just make sure that when you get it, get the uncorking kit, or else you won't have any power. Its like a night/day difference when you do it.

The best site for you is bajadesigns.com, if you didn't already know. I'd reccommend their skid plate, because I've had mine for 4 years now, and it has taken a BEATING, but it still holding up well. Also, they probably have one of the best d/s kits out there for the price. Electrix makes one as well, but it doesn't sound like its as good, plus its more expensive.

• wheelnut46

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:45 PM

Better check and make sure that you can still do that in California. I thought I'd heard that you can't anymore, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone can confirm or deny this.

• x thread

Posted April 11, 2006 - 07:02 PM

Better check and make sure that you can still do that in California. I thought I'd heard that you can't anymore, but I could be wrong. Maybe someone can confirm or deny this.

i thought you couldnt do it after 03 but i see them all the time .fix the foot peg and uncork that sucker and have fun .

• xr-jorger

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:09 PM

near impossible to plate in cali, but this guy claims to be able to, but costs
alot, maybe worth it if you need to be on the street and dont want to own a dirt and street bike http://www.californi...com/options.htm :thumbsup:

• EddyWhoGoes

Posted April 12, 2006 - 01:21 AM

Check out bajadesigns.com. I got one on my bike. there are other cheap kits out there also but i like these.

67 Camaro ?

&%$#@! has that got to do with thumper talk ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR_mad

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:26 AM

67 Camaro ?

&%$#@! has that got to do with thumper talk ?

dude who cares dont be an a**hole these forums arent for s**t like that.
lanerman as others have said the right footpeg, derestrict it and rejet the carb and most of all have fun riding the pig :thumbsup:

• Potts228

Posted April 13, 2006 - 06:18 PM

near impossible to plate in cali, but this guy claims to be able to, but costs
alot, maybe worth it if you need to be on the street and dont want to own a dirt and street bike http://www.californi...com/options.htm :thumbsup:

I talked with them. They can do it but your Honda will no longer be a Honda...it will be a "special construction" motorcycle. Not really an issue since everyone will know what the bike is.

• HawkGT

Posted April 13, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Aren't you only allowed one "special construction" in your lifetime?? I'm sure there's a thread about that on Thumpertalk somewhere--can't remember if it was in this sub-forum or not.

• cleonard

Posted April 14, 2006 - 08:51 AM

Aren't you only allowed one "special construction" in your lifetime?? I'm sure there's a thread about that on Thumpertalk somewhere--can't remember if it was in this sub-forum or not.

Yes, EPA regulation is one per lifetime. That's for a kit type of bike that does not have a VIN on the frame. I thought California law was the same. However, like a lot of EPA regs it are not (yet) enforced. For instance did you know that any modification to your exhaust, like changing the stock pipe, make you eligible for a $10,000 per day fine? With all those Harley's with straight pipes, I think we could pay off the national debt!

There is a guy here on thumpertalk, KCT, who is sort of starting his own plating business. I think he mentioned that he was going to charge $1000. That includes the kit. He does it the old way, no special construction pink slip. The old way still works because some DMV's don't know the new regulations yet, so hurry up.

If you go the special construction route, expect your insurance to be very expensive.

• ESS

Posted April 14, 2006 - 09:44 AM

If you go the special construction route, expect your insurance to be very expensive.

I was going to say the same thing. Special construction insurance is not only hard to get but very expensive. Most insurance companies I've checked in California wont even do them. Also, besides the once in a lifetime thing, you can't sell the bike for 5 years.

• amaltman

Posted April 17, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Just plated my '06, in Ca. go to chp get form 888, a compliance form,read it,while there ask for list of official light/brake inspection stations, get bike light and brake inspection $65. Have title in hand, and light certification and go to dmv, they take $95. inspect bike for vin #s and etc, have you sign that bike conforms to 888, and your done. Note you must posses the original title, or arrrange to have it sent to the dmv you want to use. you will fine form 888 enlightning, whats really required and whats not. afore you do anything, get the baja designs quick kit, its got it all, mounts sweet, sleek bubble sig lights pass, and join tt and get your 10% discount on 1st order, saving you enough to pay for the light insp. started my project in jan, and lovin every min of it. make sure you open er up too, and get usta floatin the front wheel! good luck, Allan

• Mikie1

Posted April 18, 2006 - 12:03 PM

This guy is a complete ASS!

I called to see if I could get info on getting my KTM registered. It's an SX- a red-sticker bike. I see on his site where he says he can get green-stickered bikes plated. But his response was "I don't know why you guys keep calling. My site says CLEARLY that I can't do red-sticker bikes...".

OK, so I thought there might be some other trick to get red-sticker bikes plated. But that kind of response is just uncalled for, in my book. I will not ever do business with this idiot, and hope nobody else here will, either.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.