Maxxis Desert IT review from a mud guy

16 replies to this topic
  • SJMC_DON

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:02 PM

I belong to a club that puts on the largest off road event in the northwest, the Desert 100. One of the biggest benefits of being associated with the club is that I get to spend a week over in the eastern washington desert setting up course and doing a ton of free riding, I also ride sweep on the weekend of the event as well. In all I typically total up anywhere from 400 - 700 miles of riding during the week and I will experience on average 3 flats during the week. I run s-12's year round with the exception of this annual trip to desert where in which I will mount up some M-12's or some stiff Dunlops (I don't what model :bonk: ) but I always experience at least a couple of flats.

This year I decided to buy a set of Maxxis Desert IT's based on all of the raving I hear in here about them so here is a brief report and my opinion.

- They were not near as hard to mount up as I had heard or expected :thumbsup:

- They fit good, taller sidewall = increased ride height and clearance :thumbsup:

- I got NO, (that's zero), flat tires after 400+ miles of Desert riding :confused:

- The front tire offered no confidence at all in any kind of half way aggressive cornering, I tried airing it down but no difference it wanted to slide out again and again :bonk:

- The rear would hook up awesome in the rocks but was pretty skiddish on any other kind of surface, I aired it down and learned to ride with it, this was not as noticeable as the issue with the front :bonk:

- The tread looks as new as the day I mounted them up :bonk:

I know that having the best of both worlds is asking too much and overall I was happy with no flats during the course of the week, I think if I had it to do all over again I would look for more suitable front that offered the same resistance to flat tires. Also when reviewing my comments remeber that I ride S-12's year round and frankly there is no better tire to connect you WR's power to the ground than a S-12.

Let me know if you desert guys are running a different front tire that the Maxxis.

• AHRMA17L

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:43 PM

I think your assesment is dead on. The rear tire is a great buy and good performer, the front tire is completely worthless. In fact, I have never found a bargain front tire that was worth mounting on the bike.

A good front tire for general used is the IRC Vulcanduro with a heavy tube. I still have a few new Metzler Unicross tires that I use for desert and dual sport.

Personally, I have found that as long as you are not using an ultra soft terrain fronttire, like a bridgestone M39/40 for example, you will be fine with your favorite front tire with a Metzler, Moose or Bridgestone heavy duty tube.

• Matty05

Posted April 12, 2006 - 12:25 AM

From your assessment, it sounds like you need to try some Dunlop 952's.

• nimiz1

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:48 AM

will they be good for woods riding?

• gmoss357

Posted April 12, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Do you run HD tubes with your S12's and still get flat's?

I am sold on the S12's and am getting ready to put one on my 300. The stock Bridgestone 402 rear ain't worth a flip. Burnt up after 2 rides equally about 70 miles. I have looked at the Maxxis IT rear, but just can't convince myself to spend the money on it when I know what to expect from the S12.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:21 AM

Do you run HD tubes with your S12's and still get flat's?

I am sold on the S12's and am getting ready to put one on my 300. The stock Bridgestone 402 rear ain't worth a flip. Burnt up after 2 rides equally about 70 miles. I have looked at the Maxxis IT rear, but just can't convince myself to spend the money on it when I know what to expect from the S12.

Yes I run MSR or FLY HD Tubes with my S-12's and rarely have a flat during the other 51 weeks of the year that I run Western Washington single track. I really wanted to make it thru this week in the desert with out a flat, the S-12's or even M-12's have proven to be prone to pinch flats in the desert :thumbsup: even with HD tubes.

I didn't get a flat all week and will be able to run these tires for 10 years each april based on the amnount of wear, (or lack thereof), that was imposed by last weeks mileage. :thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:25 AM

will they be good for woods riding?

The Desert IT's? NO........ Maybe if you airdown the rear and your just trail riding, not racing you could probably get away with a rear and I would guess you could get 10,000 miles out of the thing :thumbsup:

The front is not a woods tire by any means...... infact it might just be a good fire starter :thumbsup:

• nimiz1

Posted April 13, 2006 - 06:53 AM

i use the SI up front and the it rear , i dont race but ride woods single tracks and some rocks.i put 12PSI on the rear today.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OldRooster

Posted April 13, 2006 - 08:58 AM

Pirelli mt44's both front and rear are IMO the best tires made for desert riding, and they actually do suprisingly well in all conditions (rocks hard pack etc.). Front is like a dunlop 756, and the rear has a paddle shape in the middle that hooks up amazingly in the soft stuff, with enough outside nobs for good cornering. I've been running them off and on for 6 years and their track record for flats has been better than I've had with dunlops.

• gmoss357

Posted April 13, 2006 - 09:20 AM

Pirelli mt44's both front and rear are IMO the best tires made for desert riding, and they actually do suprisingly well in all conditions (rocks hard pack etc.). Front is like a dunlop 756, and the rear has a paddle shape in the middle that hooks up amazingly in the soft stuff, with enough outside nobs for good cornering. I've been running them off and on for 6 years and their track record for flats has been better than I've had with dunlops.

If you like the 44, try an S12 for softer terrain, you will be truly amazed. I have a 44 sitting in my attic that I took off a bike that I had bought. In slick soft corners there is no knobs to get traction when moving sideways till the outer line of the tire. When I would give a little throttle coming out of a flat corner the rear would just spit out sideways. I think you are right about the desert though running in soft sandy conditions.

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:14 AM

If you like the 44, try an S12 for softer terrain, you will be truly amazed. I have a 44 sitting in my attic that I took off a bike that I had bought. In slick soft corners there is no knobs to get traction when moving sideways till the outer line of the tire. When I would give a little throttle coming out of a flat corner the rear would just spit out sideways. I think you are right about the desert though running in soft sandy conditions.

Agreeed on the S-12, it will give you a whole new respect for the WR's power :thumbsup:

• kirkw

Posted April 14, 2006 - 10:40 AM

Try the SI up front and not IT. I have had similar experience with the rear, although my hook up experience is better. I do not run the desert IT, just regular MaxxCross IT. My previous front was a Mich EnduroCross III, great wear and traction, plus stiff sidewalls. I like the SI about 95% as well, but it was $20 cheaper. Good buy in my book. Very happy.

• shorty87

Posted April 15, 2006 - 12:20 PM

i was at the desert 100 to i only road the ironman poker ride ihave the maxcross it not desert front and rear with 12 psi the tires worked great for me no front end push slideing or flats realy happy with tires there not so confident whith them in the mountains on tight switch backs that are hard packed or shail rock

• bluebike1999

Posted April 15, 2006 - 04:48 PM

s12 is a great tyre, but doesnt like the high speed landings
http://img.photobuck...99/DSC00565.jpg
http://img.photobuck...99/DSC00564.jpg

• SJMC_DON

Posted April 15, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Looks like you got your moneys worth out of that one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• bluebike1999

Posted April 15, 2006 - 09:44 PM

yeah, although it chewed up landing doing wheelies, i wouldnt have another (type of) tyre on the front. learned that here, then on the trail.
that and a huge maxxis surcross on the rear is the combo for me.

• gmoss357

Posted April 18, 2006 - 04:23 AM

I get rid of my tires long before they look like that. Looks like you are using them in a situation that they weren't designed for. Need a good used S12? :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.