Carbon Fiber fork guards

3 replies to this topic
  • Bigmutha

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:42 PM

I just purchased some carbon fiber fork guards from precision concepts. Somebody told me I might want to wrap my forks with something before I install them because the carbon fiber will start wearing into my forks. Has anybody ever had that problem? Thanks for any info.

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I put an Acerbis fork/disc guard on my BRP for a while. Drilled a couple extra holes in it to make it work. But it didn't, it always ended up sliding around.

And the worst part, when I finally got sick of it and took it off, it had rubbed the crap out of my lower forks. Enough so that I could almost feel the indentation left by the zip-ty's and the guards.

I don't know what guys have been wrapping them with, but I do reccommend wrapping them in SOMETHING before you put the guards on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR4DEZ

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:22 PM

Have seen nothing like that with mine and they've been on 3 years now. The guards chip and break easily though. I got mine when PC set my bike up, they're probably the same as yours.

• qadsan

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:18 AM

I've had the same experiences as XR4DEZ. Have had them on a couple different 650R's for ~3.5 years and they haven't started wearing into my forks from what I recall. I've gone through a couple sets over the years because of them being chipped up and or broken, but they do add to the bling factor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.