06 YZF450 & AVI

20 replies to this topic
  • YZ117

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:24 PM

Anyone run straight Av Gas in their new 450? I have with great results.

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:25 PM

I doubt it. It's entirely the wrong fuel.

http://www.thumperta...488#post2829488

• T H O R

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:51 PM

Yup, I only use Premium, says right on front fender "Premium Gasoline ONLY." Even though my shop gave me some crap gas when they preped it, but just half gallon.

• Lizard 1

Posted April 12, 2006 - 03:22 AM

We tried AV gas in road race bikes many, many years ago. Here's the deal. VERY inconsistant one, and two, it just is simply the wrong fuel. It is almost worthless on the ground. Designed for flying at high altitudes, it is about worthless down here. Plus, it burns in a manner that is threatening to the longivity of your motor.

Drop it like it's hot and go to race fuel (U4) or just plain ol' pump gas (93-95 octane). You'll be sorry if you run that stuff regularly...

• NYMXer

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:15 AM

I'm not sure if avfuel will hurt your motor but I am sure it won't help it any.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:26 AM

Why even use a fuel that is not made for this bike? AVGAS will eat the seals in the carb....very bad....VPU4 will add HP about 2-3 extra and not eat the seals, but must be drained completely after each days ride.....and pump gas will be less carb maintenance period.....why experiment with this? Use a fuel designed for this motor.......or take the gamble of adding more problems.... :thumbsup:

• crfmatt

Posted June 17, 2006 - 09:22 PM

Besides why use av gas being that its so expensive...Atleast here its somewhere over $4 a gallon which really adds up when your flying... :excuseme:

• BergArabia

Posted June 18, 2006 - 04:03 AM

Being in an Oil producing country I am a little confused by the gas thing.
We only have 2 grades of gas here. Special which they say is 95 and Super, which they say is 98. I use the 98 in the bike.

My understanding is that the number is an equivalence that would match with 95% and 98% octane composition in the fuel. Of course it isn't really Octane, but any hydrocarbon molecule that burns like octane under specified temperature and pressure conditions. Octane being good as it doesn't prematurely explode as the piston is compressing the mixture (which of course would ruin a high compression engine like in a YZ450). So since I don't want the engine to explode I go for the higher octane. I don't think it gives anymore power but is more of a protection.

Well that is my understanding but I could be wrong, in which case I am sure someone will point that out to me. So what about this Avgas, different animal altogether I guess? If you want more power out of your fuel there is always NOS, but then you have to be careful with that one too..

• Matty05

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:14 AM

So what about this Avgas, different animal altogether I guess? If you want more power out of your fuel there is always NOS, but then you have to be careful with that one too..

Avgas has more lead than the normal fuels, this means more lubrication and detonation protection. Avgas was made for fuel efficiancy too. It seams to work wonders in 2 strokes (love leaded fuel) but doesn't do much in 4 strokes.

• Matty05

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:15 AM

I'm not sure if avfuel will hurt your motor but I am sure it won't help it any.

it is better at lubricating your engine than unleaded fuel. :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted June 18, 2006 - 06:18 AM

You will get many objections to it, but never from anyone that has actually tried it out for themselves..............

• Wyatt

Posted June 18, 2006 - 08:01 AM

I have used it in the past as a cheap race fuel alternative when I couldn't afford race fuel for my high compression motors while jet ski racing. I was never really happy with results there. It didn't perform as well as a 110 octane race fuel to 95 octane 50/50 mix that I used to get me over the edge of where I needed to be in order to not detonate.

I don't think it will hurt. I have never seen it eat the seals out of any carb. Airplanes don't have seals in the carb? Whenever someone mentions a fuel other than gas, others always say that it will eat the seals out of the carb. Most of your common race leaded race fuels have no ill effect on carb seals. Some of the more radical fuels can and some are corrosive to carb internals and brass jets.

• BergArabia

Posted June 18, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Avgas has more lead than the normal fuels, this means more lubrication and detonation protection. Avgas was made for fuel efficiancy too. It seams to work wonders in 2 strokes (love leaded fuel) but doesn't do much in 4 strokes.

So let me get this straight. They are still adding high levels of di-ethyl lead to petrol to get the octane level up. And to levels as high as 110% as effective at decreasing pinging as straight octane. Now I can understand how an engine that was stroked or otherwise modded or tuned would want to use that kind of gas to protect the engine. Guess I better go back to Gray's post to see why it would be no good to the 450. Hmm burn rate and vaporisation rate, yeah I guess that make sense. I guess if 95 gas is good enough why would you want to go higher unless you did something to increase the compression more.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted June 18, 2006 - 11:47 AM

You will get many objections to it, but never from anyone that has actually tried it out for themselves..............

You are not supposed to run avi gas in your bike they had a whole article on it in dirtbike magazine on why you should only run it in a 2 smoker and not in a 4 stroker.

• yzernie

Posted June 18, 2006 - 12:45 PM

Aviation fuel (refined gasoline with lead added) will work in any internal combustion engine. I have run av gas in my bikes but it was years ago....when premium was still 100 octane.

The problem with av gas...it is designed for high altitude and fixed throttle settings. A dirtbike, even in the desert, is rarely run at long fixed throttle positions. As a result of that it is hard to get a bike jetted properly. I also had hard starting problems, whether the bike was cold or hot.

Will it work....the obvious answer is yes. It would be my last choice if I couldn't get anything else.

• Matty05

Posted June 19, 2006 - 04:27 AM

You are not supposed to run avi gas in your bike they had a whole article on it in dirtbike magazine on why you should only run it in a 2 smoker and not in a 4 stroker.

If you were worried about everything, you wouldn't even start your bike.

Btw, I DON'T use avgas in the 4 banger! Methanol works much better! JK!

• Ga426owner

Posted June 19, 2006 - 05:30 AM

If you want to use AV gas go for it....but don't complain or bitch when your seals have come apart in the carb, the motor has detonated etc......
Most of us would rather use what is proven to add power w/o the damage to our bikes.....why gamble?
VPU4 is all the race gas you need....otherwise stick to pump premium..... :excuseme:

and enough of these AV Gas post.....they should also be banned or appropriated to a new thread called "Other Fuels" with the dreaded " Oil Option" threads........just stupidity. :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted June 19, 2006 - 02:16 PM

I beg your pardon? Been there, done that, wrong fuel. Period.

• moochie

Posted June 19, 2006 - 03:04 PM

I beg your pardon? Been there, done that, wrong fuel. Period.

Well said!

I'm not even sure why some folks think it's ok to run it in a 2 stroke...still the wrong fuel for that kind of application.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 19, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Well said!

I'm not even sure why some folks think it's ok to run it in a 2 stroke...still the wrong fuel for that kind of application.

NitroMethane is next.................. :excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.