'99 yz400f rebuild??

2 replies to this topic
  • T_Reiner

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Hey guys, I've been riding this bike hard for many years.
The bike still starts easy and runs very strong, but I know it's past time for a top end and maybe more.

Is this something an amateur mechanic can handle?
What are things to look for once I have it apart?
Is there a big bore kit available for the 400 still?
any special tools I'll need?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tom nolan

Posted April 13, 2006 - 07:43 AM

If you follow the manual, and if you have good mechanical ability, you shouldn't have too much problems. I've rebuilt my 98 400 twice and can't wait to do it again.

• DRH

Posted April 13, 2006 - 12:29 PM

Its not that difficult. Like the other post said, follow the manual. I also suggest using a digital camera if you have one and take pictures, at every major corner especially if you are not sure of what you are doing. You will in all probability not be able to complete the task in one day, so having the pictures will aid you in getting things back to where they are supposed to go. I also think it is vital that you get the various bolts back into the same holes from which they came, so marking them is important or place them in some cardboard mocking your engines configuration. To me the most difficult part of the rebuild was installing the cams and timing chain for the first time. It is a little tricky and will probably take you several times to get the timing marks aligned. Go slow and don't force anything! You don't want to snap anything here. Use a torque wrench and do the criss cross method during assembly as stated in the manual. If you don't have a torque wrench go out and buy one (sears) is good enough, you will use it more often than not....The best way to start this project is with a very clean bike. Clean it before during and after....

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.