When do I need to rejet 01 426

12 replies to this topic
  • beasleys

Posted April 11, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I am not sure if I need to reject my carb or possibly just clean it.
When I get on the throttle hard in a any gear higher than 3rd the bike bogs down and almost throws me over the bars if I am not expecting it. I am not sure what the problem is. I have a stock exhaust can with a Pro Moto Billet SA with the 96 dB insert I run most of the time. I am pretty much at sea level or close too it for all the riding/racing I do. I have had the bnike for a year and a half and have never adjusted the carb other than the idle knob. I installed a Rekluse about 30 riding hours ago and now this problem is much more apperent. What should I do? Thanks for any advice. :thumbsup:

• obxnc

Posted April 11, 2006 - 01:21 PM

Sounds like a dirty carb. On the bottom of the bowl is a rather large looking bolt, remove that and there will probably be dirt in there.. When you accelerate, it is probably sucking the dirt up into the jet causing it to starve for fuel.
Same thing happened to my son't CRF150. Would idle fine and putt around fine, but once you got on it, those pieces of dirt (2 in his) sucked up to the jet and killed the engine.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Fully clean out the carburetor with carb cleaner.

• Zique

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:01 PM

Fully clean out the carburetor with carb cleaner.

That may work. However, if you have larger deposits of dirt in there as 'obxnc' mentioned, you may need a little more than just spraying a little cleaner through the airbox.

This may sound kind of out there as well, but how's your compression?

• beasleys

Posted April 12, 2006 - 02:01 AM

I have not actually ran a compression check but the it seems to have good compression while kicking it over and so forth.
How exactly do you go about cleaning the carb?
For example: Does it need to be off the bike?
Do I need to break it completly down?
Do you clean it with just regular carb cleaner?

Thanks for all the help. :thumbsup:

• ryan c

Posted April 13, 2006 - 11:10 PM

Go get you a buckett of chem tool carb cleaner pull your carb off the bike pull all plastic and all o rings out of the carb soak all your jets carb and all metal pieces for 24 hours a little more wouldnt hurt it. and run small wire through all your jets to ensure you get all dirt out of them. Torch tip cleaners work great. also I would recomend pulling your pit cock off your tank and cleaning out the tube and screen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zique

Posted April 14, 2006 - 06:44 AM

Go get you a buckett of chem tool carb cleaner pull your carb off the bike pull all plastic and all o rings out of the carb soak all your jets carb and all metal pieces for 24 hours a little more wouldnt hurt it. and run small wire through all your jets to ensure you get all dirt out of them. Torch tip cleaners work great. also I would recomend pulling your pit cock off your tank and cleaning out the tube and screen.

That is the best way! :thumbsup:
I used to do it all the time at the shop I worked in.

• Hick

Posted April 14, 2006 - 06:06 PM

The jets are brass and a metal wire could scratch them, so I wouldn't recommend that.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like you have a clogged jet, it sounds more like your accelerator pump is clogged. Or maybe you are really lean on the needle clip.

If you had a clogged jet it would never run on that circuit, sounds like your problem only happens w/ throttle movement. And the needle and accelerator pump qualify. If the a/p isn't operating the bike will be too lean right when you open the throttle, but will eventually rev out. If the needle is too lean on the clip it can really bog, momentarily choking on too much air until the main jet opens up as you continue to open the throttle.

Hope this helps. Please don't stick any wire into your brass jets.

• beasleys

Posted April 15, 2006 - 01:46 PM

I have just taken the carb off to clean and inspect it. I am going to take the accelerator pump cover off first and investigate that area. I will not use any metal brushes to clean the jets. I really have no idea how to go about cleaning this thing though any advise would help greatly. Thanks. :thumbsup:

• ryan c

Posted April 15, 2006 - 09:11 PM

I have worked in several bike shops wrenching and currently do part time. Trust me small wire for your jets will not hurt. Take it in and have it done, its going to be done that way, accelerator pump, jets, whatever the case may be I would clean the whole carb anyways if you have it off the bike why not? all your doing is pushing the dirt or what ever may be obstructing the jet out if your worried about scratching the BRASS for what ever reason. find something simular small and stiff to use.

• Florida_426

Posted April 16, 2006 - 04:26 AM

Beasleys,
A good spray carb cleaner and compressed air will clean out a carb. If you can see a blockage in a jet put the straw for the cleaner or a can of compressed air into the orrifice and clear it out. These jets are removable for a reason, just take your time and it will pay off for you. I agree with Hick on avoiding metal wires on brass. I worked in a shop as a teenager and we were strictly forbidden to work on jets with metal implements in the orifices.

Bill

• Satch0922

Posted April 16, 2006 - 04:32 AM

I agree....it needs a good cleaning.

DO NOT REMOVE ANY SCREW THAT HAS YELLOW PAINT ON IT !!!!

• NYMXer

Posted April 16, 2006 - 06:30 AM

If the bike was running good and suddenly doesn't.........don't blame the jetting. Once properly jetted, the jetting never goes bad. The carb may be dirty, the air filter dirty, valves out of spec, short in an ignition wire or even kill button............etc. Just wanted to give you somewhere else to look for trouble than jetting. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.