03 Exaust

4 replies to this topic
  • chrisn6104

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:30 AM

I just picked up an 03 YZ450F. I'm also just getting back into dirt riding. The bike is in need of a new exhaust and I'm looking at the Dr.D slip on. The head pipe on the bike seems to be in good condition it's the mid pipe and slip on thats trashed. Is there any advantage to buying the Dr.D complete system with their head pipe. Or is the stock pretty much the same?
I know on road bikes the stock headers are junk but these are just one pipe with a bend. Should I find a slip on or get a complete system? Also is Dr.D a good exhaust? I don't need best most expensive top of the line but I do want something thats of good quality and will last.

• John407

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:28 AM

The stock head pipe is pretty good on the '03 yz450f. The only trouble I've ever had is rock dings and crash damage. I'm running an Ackropovic complete system now, it is lighter and a little quieter than stock. Power? More I guess but I couldn't use all I had before, so now I have even more I can't use :thumbsup: The Ackro head pipe looks exactly the same as the stock one. I've never used the Dr D stuff but the guys I know that have, liked it but found they had to repack it more often than I do mine. Have fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rasta

Posted April 11, 2006 - 10:20 AM

I just picked up an 03 YZ450F. I'm also just getting back into dirt riding. The bike is in need of a new exhaust and I'm looking at the Dr.D slip on. The head pipe on the bike seems to be in good condition it's the mid pipe and slip on thats trashed. Is there any advantage to buying the Dr.D complete system with their head pipe. Or is the stock pretty much the same?
I know on road bikes the stock headers are junk but these are just one pipe with a bend. Should I find a slip on or get a complete system? Also is Dr.D a good exhaust? I don't need best most expensive top of the line but I do want something thats of good quality and will last.

i agree woth john, the stock set up is really good just get alot of dents on header after a while, but i run dr.d full system now and the bike gained alot of bottom to mid range power. i think all the bike pipe test showed dr.d the best bang for the buck.

• fastenuf4u

Posted April 11, 2006 - 10:20 AM

The only negative I have seen from the full Dr. D system is the fact you have to move the header pipe out of the way to change the oil filter. I would think though they made the system to produce maximum benefits from both the header and exhaust (otherwise why would anyone spend the extra $$$ for the full system). By the way, I got my full Dr. D exhaust from BTO for 409 which is a great price, and the slip on is only $70 cheaper.

• chrisn6104

Posted April 11, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Nice thanks for the link. I think I may just order the full system with that price.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.