Yeah - another Edelbrock question

9 replies to this topic
  • Agent2

Posted April 11, 2006 - 07:18 AM

O.K. - '06 xr650r, uncorked with Edelbrock, 17e needle (I believe), 12 clicks from rich. Bike starts easy, runs great, plug is nice tan color. Usually ride around 2500' elevation (California High Desert). Under load - especially in 4th and 5th gear I'm getting that "marbles in a can noise". I don't think it's pre ignition, but it sure sounds like it. I am assuming it's the counterbalance gears but not sure. Any ideas?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted April 11, 2006 - 07:23 AM

O.K. - '06 xr650r, uncorked with Edelbrock, 17e needle (I believe), 12 clicks from rich. Bike starts easy, runs great, plug is nice tan color. Usually ride around 2500' elevation (California High Desert). Under load - especially in 4th and 5th gear I'm getting that "marbles in a can noise". I don't think it's pre ignition, but it sure sounds like it. I am assuming it's the counterbalance gears but not sure. Any ideas?

Try a colder plug under the same conditions.

• creeky

Posted April 11, 2006 - 07:49 AM

O.K. - '06 xr650r, uncorked with Edelbrock, 17e needle I'm getting that "marbles in a can noise". I don't think it's pre ignition, but it sure sounds like it. ideas?

I have an Edelbrock that I have used on two stock XR600s and an HRC628. I had to run a 19E needle in all three bikes with the needle adjuster anywhere from 4-8 clicks from full rich in order to get a proper fuel mixture. The " marbles in a can" sound probably is detonation, sounds like you need to go richer.

• Agent2

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:21 AM

I guess thats my question - for So Cal xr650r riders - are you running a 17e or 19e?

• malevolent73

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:51 PM

I use the biggest needle... and I'm right in the middle between rich & lean, it runs perfect, and leaves a lot of room to make any necessary changes up or down! When you hear marbles... what RPM are you at? could it be that you just need to down shift because you are lugging the engine too much? just a thought!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:01 PM

I run 18E needles in my 650R's.

• frankstr

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:03 PM

Maybe its the quality of your gas, Causing the preignition you hear..... :thumbsup:

• malevolent73

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:09 PM

Maybe its the quality of your gas, Causing the preignition you hear..... :thumbsup:

And what octane are you using???

• Agent2

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the back feed. No, not lugging it, it's a mid to upper range rpm problem so I don't think it's a mixture screw fix - more like a richer needle fix, and I always use 91 octane (Cali hi test). I pulled the tank off last night to make sure the intake clamps were tight - the carb was at 15 clicks from rich, thought I was at 13. Backed it off a few clicks. I'm going up to the desert this weekend to try it again. I wish I had an 18e needle - all I have right now is a 19e - kind of feel this will be too much. Hate swapping the needle out in the desert but you gotta do what you gotta do.

• creeky

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:07 AM

Since you already have the 19E, why not go ahead and put it in and see how it works?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.