Slow Oil Seal Leak

3 replies to this topic
  • yami racer

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:38 AM

Ok I searched but I could not find how long I can go on a leaking oil seal...I have a very slow Oil Seal Leak on my '06 YZ450F front fork. I am not good at working on suspension and typically have a dealer do these for me but.....I have a race tonight and will not have it done in time. Can I race tonight with this leak? By Small I mean I can see little rings of oil when I compress the fork and let it go but there is no physical dripping. Any advice is appreciated. I just want to know if I can get by with this for a day.

• PK

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:37 AM

It's hard to say because obviously all leaks start out small. Chances are you have some crud under the fork seal. There is a trick to cleaning it out that won't cost you anything but time. You have to pull the dust seal down on the fork leg. The dust seal is often mistaken as the fork seal but the fork seal in under the dust seal. So pry the dust seal down and now your looking at the fork seal. Take a business card, camera film or something that that is pliable enough to bend around the fork leg. Put it in between the fork leg and the seal and run all 360 degrees around the seal. Your trying to clean out whatever gunk is under the lip on the seal. Often times this is all you need and since your bike isn't very old, this would be my guess. You can ride it with the leak and it may clean itself out or completely blow itself out, which isn't likely but a possibility.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KTMKarl

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Great advice PK, while you got the tool box out, loosen up the front end and get everything aligned, your owners manuel will show you a bolt tightening sequence to get it all lined up. If things get a little twisted up it will increase the likelyhood of a leak.

• yami racer

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I had done this by recommendation from others and will see. Upon further inspection of the fork on the lower part there is a small burr/scratch and I mean small but it will grab my finger nail. I have decided to do the seals on my own but do I really take 600 grit and 1000 grit sand paper to this to file it down? I am assuming if so it must be ever so slight on the pressure.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.