Maxxis Desert IT vs. Maxxis IT ??

11 replies to this topic
  • Summit

Posted April 11, 2006 - 04:19 AM

Rear tire. Was wondering what the diff was between the Desert and the regular IT. I got the Desert and got the regular one for my brothers bike because he has a 19 rear wheel and they don't have a Desert available in a 19. Guess we'll find out. THe desert was $7.00 more I think.

• Patster

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:52 AM

I think the sidewalls are stiffer on the Desert IT. Also, just a suspicion, but I'd guess that the knobs are a bit closer together for longer durability in the varied terrain of the desert.

I just got the Desert IT, a switch from the S12. I'm not really thrilled with it. It slips around quite a bit more, but I have the impression it'll last longer than the S12. I'll have to see if my opinion changes as it wears, but right now I'd get another S12 if I had to buy another tire. By the way, I ride mostly desert - Ocotillo Wells in SoCal.

• clark4131

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:55 AM

The Desert version has a stiffer carcass to better combat pinch flats. You can run it at lower pressures than the standard IT. If you run your normal pressure, it'll skate around on you. I used to run the Desert IT, but went back to the regular since I use Bridgestone UHD tubes. I like having a little more flex in my sidewall and the UHD tubes pretty much take care of potential flats...SC

• dpike

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:17 AM

The Desert IT also appears to have slightly taller knobs...

• idahoaggie99

Posted April 11, 2006 - 07:26 AM

I think the sidewalls are stiffer on the Desert IT. Also, just a suspicion, but I'd guess that the knobs are a bit closer together for longer durability in the varied terrain of the desert.

I just got the Desert IT, a switch from the S12. I'm not really thrilled with it. It slips around quite a bit more, but I have the impression it'll last longer than the S12. I'll have to see if my opinion changes as it wears, but right now I'd get another S12 if I had to buy another tire. By the way, I ride mostly desert - Ocotillo Wells in SoCal.

I just got back from Moab and the Maxxis IT were great! They are still almost like new. One of my friends had the S12's on his bike, and they are now bald. I think everyone in camp was sold on the durability of the Maxxis IT. It handles fine enough for me as well.

• dbailey223

Posted April 11, 2006 - 10:14 AM

idahoaggie99, did you have the desert IT or regular IT?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 11, 2006 - 10:19 AM

What are you guys running for size on your regular IT's? I had a 110/100/18 on my XR650R and it was like a Pizza cutter. I've heard maxxis tires run smaller than most. I opted for the 120/100 the next round and I'm much happier with it. Once the 756 wears down on my WR450(w/in 3 rides probably) I'll be switching to the maxxis.

• idahoaggie99

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:34 PM

idahoaggie99, did you have the desert IT or regular IT?

Regulars. 110-100-18

I also have the IT's on the front. Not a bad set of rubber.

• Dirtmizer

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:41 PM

I agree on the IT it wears like iron I ran it with a 773 up front but I also found it to be a bit slippery which isn't all bad, I'm going to try a set of SI's I hear they are pretty good. 110-100-18

• snakesausage

Posted April 11, 2006 - 04:46 PM

dfgdfg

• 2strokes4me

Posted April 12, 2012 - 08:50 PM

I know this is an old thread, but for archive purposes I want to add to the info here:

The regular IT has a 4-ply carcass, and the sidewalls/bead is more flexible, is easier to mount on a rim, and has a 'softer' ride overall.
The Desert IT has a 6-ply carcass, and the knobs are a little bit wider. They are also a real pain to mount on a rim.

I was also told by a tire guy that the Desert has a slightly softer rubber compound because it is stiffer.
They both perform and wear about the same, but for desert riding you will naturally get more reliability from the desert.

A 110/90-19 measures 105mm wide at the carcass, and 130mm wide from outer knob to outer knob.
A 120/90-19 measures 120mm wide at the carcass, and 145mm wide at the knobs.

• q1445

Posted April 13, 2012 - 12:07 PM

Geomax 71 is my new go to rear tire. Geomax 51 up front. The 71 last longer than any of the maxxis tires. Hooks up at all time. I rode desert IT's for a long time. Awesome when new but lost hook up fast. 71 hooks up and lasts ALOT longer! Rides great in Baja desert, mountain single track, as well as moto tracks. Not the prefect tire but I have been very happy with it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.