yz426 2001 or 2002

10 replies to this topic
  • penney7

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:54 AM

hey im new here have done alot of reading about the 426 seems to be a good bike. i am thinking about buyin one im not sure on the year and i was wondering if this are good bikes for trail riding an gravel pitts. the odd at the track. what mods may have to be done to make a good trail bike. in the futre i may convert it to dual purpose what do i need for this? thanks.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:02 AM

The YZ426 is a great bike, very reliable and I would go with the 2002. If your going to trail ride the bike you may want to add some flywheel weight to it. I would also consider adding the auto decomp camshaft to the bike to ease with starting. But if your wanting to duel sport the bike in the future then maybe consider the WR model as it has a better tranny for trails and highway than the YZ and it also has the lighting coil.

• chump

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:24 AM

426's are tanks, if your going to do more trails, perhaps you want a WR.

• Raven1911

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:28 AM

The YZ426 is a great bike, very reliable and I would go with the 2002. If your going to trail ride the bike you may want to add some flywheel weight to it. I would also consider adding the auto decomp camshaft to the bike to ease with starting. But if your wanting to duel sport the bike in the future then maybe consider the WR model as it has a better tranny for trails and highway than the YZ and it also has the lighting coil.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have an 2001 but getting a newer bike should always be the priority, so a 2002 makes sense. They are identical bikes, I believe. I did the autodecomp cam and it turns the bike into a completely different bike and I really love the bike now. As far as a dual sport bike, the YZ really isn't one. Look at a DRZ for something of a dual sport bike. I think when you get one you won't be disappointed. The only drawback to the 426 is the weight, 250#.

• penney7

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:43 PM

my last bike was a dr-z250 an i want to upgrade to better suspension an more power. the yz426 i was lookin at needs a hole new rear rim. other then tthat its good. is it 4 or 5spd ive been told its a 4. if i dont get the yz il be buyin brand new probly a 2006 crf250x.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz_for_me

Posted April 12, 2006 - 02:20 PM

426's are tanks, if your going to do more trails, perhaps you want a WR.

Um, the WR is just about identical to the YZ except it has like 15 pounds of extra crap on it. How does that make it less of a tank than the YZ? The 426 is more "tank like" than current bikes, but it is still a very capable bike and a hell of a lot of fun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at all.

As far as mods for trail riding go, to get started I'd pick up a kick stand, lighting coil, rad guards and bark busters. I geared mine down with a 50 tooth rear sprocket and that seemed to help a lot in the slow stuff. Soften the suspenders and have a good time. Also, (can't believe I almost forgot this one)make sure you do the cam mod. Good luck and have fun!

• penney7

Posted April 13, 2006 - 02:10 AM

Um, the WR is just about identical to the YZ except it has like 15 pounds of extra crap on it. How does that make it less of a tank than the YZ? The 426 is more "tank like" than current bikes, but it is still a very capable bike and a hell of a lot of fun. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at all.

As far as mods for trail riding go, to get started I'd pick up a kick stand, lighting coil, rad guards and bark busters. I geared mine down with a 50 tooth rear sprocket and that seemed to help a lot in the slow stuff. Soften the suspenders and have a good time. Also, (can't believe I almost forgot this one)make sure you do the cam mod. Good luck and have fun!

what r ark bbusters....the 426 i was lookin at is great but needs a back rim. im still ponderiing buyin somethnig strrreet an trail or crf250x.

• FTT

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:23 PM

I just picked up an 02 YZF426 dualsport. It is a great bike. Much better than the KLX300 and XR600 dualsports I used to ride. Light and fast. Fires every time by the second kick (now that I know the drill)

• ryan c

Posted April 13, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I bought an 01 and do not regreat it. its a great all around bike with gobs of torque with the right gearing combinations, dont be frustrated and turned off by the starting issues you may here it's the easyiest 4 stroke to start wants you learn how to........

• penney7

Posted April 20, 2006 - 02:44 AM

well the 426 i am lookin it is ingood shape, new back rim, it has a 4spd racing transmisson, it's a 2001, the guy said it probly has 30hours on it. the first owner raced it, the 2nd jsut used it on the trials, pits, odd day playin at the track, which is what i plan to do. i think i might just grab this bike.

• yz_for_me

Posted April 20, 2006 - 07:49 AM

what r ark bbusters....the 426 i was lookin at is great but needs a back rim. im still ponderiing buyin somethnig strrreet an trail or crf250x.

Bark busters are hand guards.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.