Major Malfunction at the junction

25 replies to this topic
  • TallBoysWRF

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:19 PM

You probably won't see any damage to a Ti valve, you just know something is wrong when your top end eats the valve. :crazy: The coating or what ever that is on the Ti valves is there for a reason, remove it and you can have trouble. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Numskull

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:41 PM

You probably won't see any damage to a Ti valve, you just know something is wrong when your top end eats the valve. :crazy: The coating or what ever that is on the Ti valves is there for a reason, remove it and you can have trouble. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I will try to correct you all though I have did no research. Titanium is used to coat alot of alloys, and ijn my oppinion, its junk. The valve was a hardened steel before the coating and I believe the titan ium coating was put on because of a sales situation. The valves worked just fine before titanium, and will work after titanium.

Kind of reminds me of titanium covered drilled bits. They are junk. Any time you coat a metel with titanium, its just a sales pitch, nothing more. Get rid of the junk and your back to basics;)

• Numskull

Posted May 01, 2006 - 06:55 PM

Actually the head has been fixed. The compression has been restored. That has all been taken care of. The vavles still have ther titanium coating on them and are doing there job very well. :crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 5valve

Posted May 02, 2006 - 02:48 AM

Im also not sure, but I think titanium valves are made from hardened steel welded to titanium part and am not sure wich part is Ti and wich is steel, stem or face area.
Its lighter, but what Im sure of, is that Ti valves cost cost 4-8 times as much, depending if inlet/exhaust.

• Moto5

Posted May 02, 2006 - 03:36 AM

I always thought titanium valves were all titanium so they were stronger and lighter.

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 02, 2006 - 06:23 AM

I always thought titanium valves were all titanium so they were stronger and lighter.

Nah they are coated and I've read numerous threads in the forums where guys lap thier valves, remove the coating and the valves very shortly go to 0 spec. I predict that our boy will lunch this motor if he doesn't carefully watch his clearances.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.