Rekluse thoughts & observations

12 replies to this topic
  • jaggley

Posted April 10, 2006 - 05:12 PM

I read the thread about the rekluse settings and how MCmountainman pays close attention to his settings. I try to keep up with preventive maintenance too.

I checked my gap this afternoon and it was .055". That's inches. :thumbsup: .040" is the high side of the spec. When I installed it I was at the high side. I put about 300 trail miles on it and it has performed well. Go figure.

Today I installed a set of oem friction plates and was able to set it at 0.029" with only the two rekluse steel plates at the top.

By the feeling of my bike I bet I could have ridden until about .065-.07" before Indy would have to help me swap my plates trailside.

I just thought I would share this info

• flatnacker

Posted April 10, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Just out of curiosity-when you guys are checking your clearances do you have to order another gasket from Rekluse, or can you re use the original Rekluse one?

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 10, 2006 - 07:27 PM

You can reuse the Rekluse thick spacer gasket as long as you dont tear it. :thumbsup:

I find that the Rekluse runs best on our bikes with a tight 0.030" gap.
It is also very sensitve to motor oils with Moly in them.

• jerryls

Posted April 10, 2006 - 07:29 PM

You can reuse the Rekluse gasket. I replaced mine after 18 months, but the old one still looked pretty good. The key is to not overtorque the cover bolts.

Jerry

Oops, Indy beat me to it!

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 10, 2006 - 08:08 PM

I just spent the dough on the Rekluse cover so I didnt have to worry about that gasket. I have bad luck with stuff like that. (read: I am a total moron who overtightens stuff and ruins it, not to be noticed untill 15 miles from truck) :thumbsup: My gap grew from .033 to .041. So I installed anohter rekluse plate and dropped it to .029. Perfect so far. :thumbsup:

http://putfile.com/p...00097.jpg&s=x11

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:20 AM

Thats is why I keep telling everyone to run the Rekluse at the low end or below spec. :thumbsup: I run mine as low as .028" and it allows the plates to last longer and generates less heat as well as helping to engage right off idle. I still believe that the 450 has to much low rpm torque for the Rekluse design to handle. It is very marginal. Put the wrong oil in or too big a gap and watch your plates smoke!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:51 AM

I started mine at the low end of the adjustment as well. At first I thought it may be a problem once the plates got hot and expanded but so for so good :thumbsup:

• clark4131

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:02 AM

Thats is why I keep telling everyone to run the Rekluse at the low end or below spec. :thumbsup: I run mine as low as .028" and it allows the plates to last longer and generates less heat as well as helping to engage right off idle. I still believe that the 450 has to much low rpm torque for the Rekluse design to handle. It is very marginal. Put the wrong oil in or too big a gap and watch your plates smoke!

In order to maintain the tight gap, do you find yourself replacing friction plates frequently? If so, how many and how often? Thanks!...SC

• 642MX

Posted April 11, 2006 - 04:45 PM

In order to maintain the tight gap, do you find yourself replacing friction plates frequently? If so, how many and how often? Thanks!...SC

I run my gap around 35 thousands and replace my fibers once a year. I typically have to add another Rekluse plate about mid year.

• flatnacker

Posted April 11, 2006 - 04:55 PM

Another question from a Rekluse newb-in the intructions it says to take of the spring on the actuator arm located at the engine, should this be re installed at any point or is it permanantly removed? I have a 03 450

• 642MX

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Another question from a Rekluse newb-in the intructions it says to take of the spring on the actuator arm located at the engine, should this be re installed at any point or is it permanantly removed? I have a 03 450

You just pop the spring loose and let it stay on the actuator. If you leave it hooked up it will work against the Rekluse and will more than likely smoke your plates.

• flatnacker

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thanks mate!!!

• 642MX

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:23 PM

Thanks mate!!!

No problem. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.