Help-2000 WR400 won't start?

5 replies to this topic
  • wr400rider

Posted April 10, 2006 - 04:38 PM

I just bought a 2000 wr400 and it ran fine when i bought it and rode fine aswell but I went to take it out yesterday and I couldnt get it started after about 15 or 20 good kicks? I am new to riding and have only ever had 2 stroke bikes in the past, what am i doing wrong, I pulled out the black cold start choke, turned on the gas, did one kick with the decompression on and then one kick with out about 20 times, It turned over once for about 15 seconds and then bogged down and shut off. The fuel shutoff is a little confusing? what is on and off as there is 2 ends to the leaver? thanks

• dirtr1der

Posted April 10, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Search this forum for the "starting drill." Its specific to the 426 due to its higher compression, but it should work for the 400 as well. I tried to search the forum for you to get the link, but there's too much traffic online right now and the search function has been turned off. The drill worked for me and I still use it today. My bike starts on the first or second kick - every time. Good luck and congrats on the new bike. :thumbsup:

• Numskull

Posted April 10, 2006 - 08:15 PM

These carbs have an accerator pump. If any one walks by and twists the throthel, it will flood out. :thumbsup:

just like dirtr1der explained, there is the proper starting drill. Good luck, once you learn how to start it, you'll be amazed :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:36 AM

Put in a fresh plug.

Cold:

(1). Choke out
(2). 1 twist of throttle
(3). Kick slowly down until the lever becomes hard to push
(4). Take foot off of kick lever (bring to top)
(5). Pull in compression release and give kick lever 1/4 kick down
(6). Let off of compression release and bring kick lever to top again
(7). Kick firmly down through full kick range

Warm:

(1). No Choke, No throttle twisting!!!, repeat steps above.

Hot (as in just dropped):

1. Hot start out and then repeat above. No throttle twisting. No Choke.

:thumbsup:

• jchantzWR400F

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:39 AM

Oh, and the fuel is on when the petcock is in the vertical position, not horizontal.

• Bamster

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:42 AM

Cold:

(1). Choke out
(2). 1 twist of throttle
(3). Kick slowly down until the lever becomes hard to push
(4). Take foot off of kick lever (bring to top)
(5). Pull in compression release and give kick lever 1/4 kick down
(6). Let off of compression release and bring kick lever to top again
(7). Kick firmly down through full kick range

cold

(1) choke out
(2) Kick slowly down until the lever becomes hard to push (top dead center)
(3) Take foot off of kick lever (bring to top)
(4) Pull in compression release and nudge kick lever a hair past hard spot (top dead center.) then let kick lever come back to the top.
(5) My 400 likes 2 to 3 twist of throttle (this may vary)
(6) Remove hand from throttle and place on front brake cylinder as not to inadvertently give throttle while kicking.
(6) Kick firmly down through full kick range

Repeat if needed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.