Fork and Front Disc Guards for XR650L?

6 replies to this topic
  • chetwynd

Posted April 10, 2006 - 01:03 PM

It seems that no one makes a heavy duty (non-plastic) front fork guard or front disc guard. What's the deal? What does everyone use? I'm thinking about getting some custom made, maybe 1/8" aluminum or something. I need protection baby! :thumbsup:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:53 AM

What are you slamming into, or what is being thrown at your bike that you need aluminum?

Devol makes a front disc guard out of aluminum; however, give it enough of an impact, and you'll have it dinged or bent into your rotor making all kinds of racket/wear.

SRC makes fork guards out of plastic...anything they can't handle is a scenario where you've probably got other troubles anyhow.

I have the Acerbis plastic on my 250R (rotor and fork), and they have survived many a weekend ride or enduro race.

I did get an Enduro Engineering rear disc guard, aluminum, for the 250R as the original plastic mud/water guard cratered in the first week of riding. It shows some dings on it that I'm glad never made it to the rotor. But the front---forks/disc---seem OK with plastic, at least for me.

• Hayden

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:51 PM

Disc guard is built in. Have you taken a look at how far the front forks go below the axle mount. You would hit the bottom of the forks before you would hit the Disc. I have this problem a lot in rocky areas of Arkansas. I hit the bottom of the front forks alot. I was looking at others like KTM and Kaw and the axle is mounted at the very bottom of the Forks. I have often thought about making something to go over the lower part of the fork leg to help protect it.

Hayden

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted April 11, 2006 - 06:27 PM

I use nothing and that does me just fine :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Hitorq

Posted April 12, 2006 - 10:37 AM

Same issue as Hayden, bottom of my forks get the crap beat out of them by rocks, etc. Never had any rotor issues.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 12, 2006 - 12:39 PM

Disc guard is built in. Have you taken a look at how far the front forks go below the axle mount. You would hit the bottom of the forks before you would hit the Disc. I have this problem a lot in rocky areas of Arkansas. I hit the bottom of the front forks alot. I was looking at others like KTM and Kaw and the axle is mounted at the very bottom of the Forks. I have often thought about making something to go over the lower part of the fork leg to help protect it.

Hayden

It's "built-in" because of the ancient technology we are riding. Even so, I still don't want the sliders gettin' worked, if I can help it... :confused:

Me? I would've liked the XRL to come with USD forks standard (stachions below the sliders) but that didn't happen. Why? Only Honda knows for sure. And I'll bet it has everything to do with production costs & the fact their research showed the targeted buyer probably wouldn't know the difference :thumbsup: Oh well...

The plastic guards(if you can find them) are much better than nothing at all. Mine have got the nicks, scrapes & gouges to prove it. :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:25 PM

If it was an issue to me, I would fabricate some outta diamond plate because that would just be kick ass.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.