clutch problem need help

7 replies to this topic
  • gunship426

Posted April 10, 2006 - 09:16 AM

i have just rebult my kids yz80, it turned out great, fired up on the third kick.
but the problem is that the clutch wont engage. when i put it back togeathe i noticed that the plunger had a little slop in it. now the bike runes good but wont go anyware. i put it back on the stand and mad shure the trany shifted right and it dose.

• PK

Posted April 10, 2006 - 10:29 AM

There are alot of variables involved with this. You could have re-assembled it incorrectly and the clutch is hanging up or you indexed the clutch arm wrong. I would look at the exploded view on a yamaha site and see if you put it back together correctly. If it worked before and now it doesn't, it has be somewhere in the reassembly process.

• DRH

Posted April 10, 2006 - 12:37 PM

What did you rebuild? If all you did is replace the top end, then I am assuming you didn't reomve the clutch. If you did remove the clutch and now it is not working, then its something you did or didn't do. Do you remember seeing a little ball bearing anywhere? Some systems use a single ball bearing at the end of the plunger rod. Check to see if your bike does in fact have this kind of system, I know I have left mine out on more than one occassion. I would also do what the other post before suggested. Look at an exploded view of the motor and make sure all ofthe parts are where they are supposed to be. I wouldn't panic, it sounds something simple....

• DRH

Posted April 10, 2006 - 12:39 PM

What did you rebuild? If all you did is replace the top end, then I am assuming you didn't reomve the clutch. If you did remove the clutch and now it is not working, then its something you did or didn't do. Do you remember seeing a little ball bearing anywhere? Some systems use a single ball bearing at the end of the plunger rod. Check to see if your bike does in fact have this kind of system, I know I have left mine out on more than one occassion. I would also do what the other post before suggested. Look at an exploded view of the motor and make sure all of the parts are where they are supposed to be. I wouldn't panic, it sounds something simple....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gunship426

Posted April 10, 2006 - 01:03 PM

well i had to rebuild the hole engine.

i sent the cylinder and head to custom kraft and punched it out to a 90cc
and had it ported for more bottem end. put a new wysco piston in. new hot rod
crank, all new barings and seals. duel stage reeds fmf factory fatty pipe.about the only thing i didnt do was the clutch.

• NYMXer

Posted April 10, 2006 - 01:06 PM

Is the cable locked into it's holder down on the left side of the cases......above the sprocket?

• gunship426

Posted April 10, 2006 - 01:12 PM

yes cable and all looks and works good.

• gunship426

Posted April 11, 2006 - 07:08 AM

well my friend id like to thank you all. i figured it out.
the pressure plat has a index. the funny thing is is that it will all go back togeather but the pressure plate wont seat agenst the clutch plates. im
so happy that new motor screames. its kinda scary. not shure if i want to give it back to my 10 y.o.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.