What's that noise?

6 replies to this topic
  • Kinsman

Posted April 10, 2006 - 08:46 AM

93 650 L; 17,000 happy miles.
Sounds kinda like chain slapping but the tension is right.
Chunk-clunk-chunk mostly when I am in first or second, putt-putting.
Did not make the sound when I put it on the stand and ran it in gear.

If it's chain hitting something no big deal but if it is coming from inside, it is a scary noise.

Any ideas?

• cleonard

Posted April 10, 2006 - 09:45 AM

Cam chain tensioner no longer doing it's job?

• captb

Posted April 10, 2006 - 09:55 AM

Probably just the engine balancer backlash, not a problem, some make noise when new.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kinsman

Posted April 10, 2006 - 11:34 AM

OK, what are consequences and is either one an easy fix for a guy who ain't real wrenchy?

• ghoti

Posted April 10, 2006 - 12:09 PM

93 650 L; 17,000 happy miles.
Sounds kinda like chain slapping but the tension is right.
Chunk-clunk-chunk mostly when I am in first or second, putt-putting.
Did not make the sound when I put it on the stand and ran it in gear.

If it's chain hitting something no big deal but if it is coming from inside, it is a scary noise.

Any ideas?

My 04 started making noise down by the front sprocket during low rpm acceleration after a new chain, slider and sprockets. Everything is lined up and tight. I think it's because the replacement sprocket doesn't have the vibration dampners like the OEM. I guess I'll wait til it breaks, then fix it.

• Super_dave0069

Posted May 27, 2008 - 12:09 PM

Did anyone figure out the clunking sound? I think I have it now too. I did a lot of maintenance over the winter so I can't say for sure what caused it. I changed front and rear brake pads. I also put a wave rotor on the rear. I changed the chain and both sprockets and now I have a clunking sound while putting too. I can hear it very well when I pull the cluch and just coast with no throttle. Sounds like the chain is hitting something but I can't figure out where. Tension is correct. Any thoughts?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 27, 2008 - 02:07 PM

Is the slider just under the swingarm pivot missing?

Weird that you'd hear it with the clutch pulled in. Something misaligned?

Swingarm bearings wiped?

Rear wheel bearings wiped?

Just guessing...

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.