This bike Rips

13 replies to this topic
  • dl19

Posted April 09, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Man this bike is flat awesome. Finally could not take it anymore, and drove three hours one way to be able to ride more then a few plowed roads. We went to a ORV park near Spokane. A lot of riders but not overcrowded. We had three YZF450's 2-04's, 1-06, 04-YZF250, and some TTR's. Area we were riding had some hill climbs around 200', and a lot of woops, trees and trail riding. Oh, man no one could come close for 98% of the day except the 06 450. Woops, and straight open area, was the only place they could lead and only barely. I have not even adjusted the suspension yet, so the woops will be a little better after I work on the suspension set up. Way more power then my XR400 DUH (I already knew that, but this was the first day of diversified riding). Nothing like freaking lifting the front from 1/2 way through a corner in 3rd, and finally it hits the ground as fourth is grabbed. S :bonk: had too much power (more then I was used to) on a hill climb as it hopped up over the top of the ledge, wheelied out form under me, jammed my leg into the ground, and Hyper-extended my knee. Didn't wad it up, but my leg is not working real well. Oh well S :thumbsup: happens when riding on the edge. Not hospitalization time, but man my freaking knee is killing me. That is a good days riding in my book, perfect if not for the knee thing. Guys with me were being Pu%&*@# and only running the known grooves. They all pussed out after three hours, and I had the screwed up leg. Wanking about first serious ride, being tired, sore A%&, etc.. FREAKING WANKERS!!!!!!!! 1.5 tanks of gas in only 35 miles of riding!!!! Guy with us was complaining about getting rid of his WR for a YZF, and I would guess the YZF will be gone for another WR before seasons end. Can you tell I'm a little stoked about this coming riding season. We need a icon that has WFO!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :confused: :bonk: :bonk:

• 642MX

Posted April 10, 2006 - 06:07 AM

Sounds like a good time. 1.5 tanks of gas in only 35 miles? You must have been on the main jet the whole time.

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted April 10, 2006 - 06:11 AM

Sounds like a good time. 1.5 tanks of gas in only 35 miles? You must have been on the main jet the whole time.

Matt - We need to get out there soon and do some of that!

• Punisher660

Posted April 10, 2006 - 08:56 AM

If you think it rips now, wait til you put the YZF cam in :thumbsup:
I put mine in Friday, went riding this weekend - :thumbsup: power....I love it!

To me, it was more of an improvement than a pipe.

• 642MX

Posted April 10, 2006 - 01:16 PM

Matt - We need to get out there soon and do some of that!

I'm ready. But, this weekend is probably not going to workout with Easter. :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted April 10, 2006 - 10:44 PM

What pipe have you got? Interested to hear your view......

• Punisher660

Posted April 11, 2006 - 08:14 AM

I am running the stock pipe with the baffle pulled out. I tried a buddies FMF-Q (sans cam mod) just to see if there was a big power increase like there was on my YFZ450 (quad) when piping it. While there was definitely an increase of power, it didn't feel as drastic as the cam mod IMO.

I would like to try the pipe again now that the cam mod has been completed though. I think they would definitely compliment eachother, but I have to save for a while to actually BUY my own pipe. I just borrowed one for testing purposes.

I piped my quad, but have not done the cam mod on it yet, (its the wifes bike and I don't want it to scare her). Putting a pipe on it and pulling the airbox lid made a HUGE difference. Since it is relatively the same motor, I would expect the same mods would work equally with each :thumbsup:
The YFZ exhaust is more plugged up than the WR though, so a bigger power increase is expected with a pipe mod.

The WR is a pretty powerful machine; For most in stock trim (post free mods) it is plenty of machine. My previous experiance is MX and my last bike was a CR500 - I wanted more out of my WR. I tend to be pretty aggressive on my WR, but the way it was made me feel starved for power. I can now come into a corner hot, brake hard, pin the throttle, and the front of the bike lifts into a wheelie that carries for 100 ft.......it now feels like a controllable CR500 :confused:

I can definitely see how it would be difficult for novice riders to ride technical sections with the cam mod, I think they would find it a hinderance in the slick stuff like mud since the power is instant and could cause you to lose traction, but it can be corrected with throttle and clutch controll. Overall, it takes the WR to a different level and makes it a desert racer instead of a trail bike. Only thing left to do is pu a YZ seat/tank on it, YZ rear fender, and its the perfect bike :thumbsup:

Oh yah.....mine is an 04.....I'm sure that would make a difference since the newer bikes are smoother to begin with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted April 12, 2006 - 12:44 AM

You should try a pipe other than a restricted up FMF Q! I got a Procircuit Ti GP system on my bike, although loud, it adds a crap load of power, even over a de-restricted stock muffler. This is why I wanted to know what pipe you had. I do know I will see a gain in power, but most likely not as much as the pipe.

My bike still lacks power, I miss the CR500 too! I got my suspension set up professionally, the bike is so easy to ride, the harder you go the better it is! Quicker than my CR500 for sure, just lacks power.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 12, 2006 - 01:48 AM

does you electric start still work with that YZF cam?

• OringGroove

Posted April 12, 2006 - 05:56 AM

Matty05 are you thinking of doing a YZ exhaust cam swap on the WR450 05?
I wouldn't mind knowing if it will work on the 06! The 06 feels very much like my 05 YZ450 it replaced! With all the mods done and a DR D enduro muffler this bike cranks!
Hmmm the question is will a YZ exhaust cam make a difference? (I have an 03 exhaust cam sitting in the shed).
I'll wait abit longer before dropping it into the 06 :thumbsup:
I don't believe an exhaust cam mod will make the WR much more powerfull then it already is!
Do you know anyone who has tried it on an 06? or even an 05?
:thumbsup: The power is addictive!

• Punisher660

Posted April 12, 2006 - 07:53 AM

does you electric start still work with that YZF cam?

As far as the starter is concerned, you would never know there was a change. :thumbsup:

• Punisher660

Posted April 12, 2006 - 08:01 AM

As per the power increase -

I have heard through the grapevine that this mod is supposed to give you an extra 3 hp. I have no idea if this is true or not. It does feel more powerful though.

At a minimum, it moves the powerband closer to the bottom of the RPM range. Instead of twisting the throttle and having a slight lag time before the power hits hard, it hits hard right off the bottom and seems to rev further.

I don't have all the equipment to test every aspect, so I use the tire system. My front tire now spends considerably less time on the ground :thumbsup: so even if the power increase is psychosomatic, the fun factor has increased :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted April 12, 2006 - 06:31 PM

Matty05 are you thinking of doing a YZ exhaust cam swap on the WR450 05?
I wouldn't mind knowing if it will work on the 06! The 06 feels very much like my 05 YZ450 it replaced! With all the mods done and a DR D enduro muffler this bike cranks!
Hmmm the question is will a YZ exhaust cam make a difference? (I have an 03 exhaust cam sitting in the shed).
I'll wait abit longer before dropping it into the 06 :confused:
I don't believe an exhaust cam mod will make the WR much more powerfull then it already is!
Do you know anyone who has tried it on an 06? or even an 05?
:thumbsup: The power is addictive!

The cam will make more power, I am still up in the air about it. My bike goes just as hard as a YZ, but I still want more power! The bike absolutely rips when the throttle is touched, awesome bottom and mid from the lowboy header. It has more top end and over rev too, with the very straight through muffler.

If I had a YZ cam sitting in the shed, it would be in my bike. :thumbsup:

I am thinking about sending my head to rams head service, ment to do wonders for about $400 with new cam.

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted April 12, 2006 - 11:29 PM

uh from what I have read and understand you can't use the electric start with that YZ cam. Am I right or wrong. Would love to do the YZ cam if I could keep my electric start

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.