06 YZF 450 Questions

Are you for real or is this just B*%#s^%*? Did you get a manual when you bought your bike? Can you read? You should really do a search before asking these questions, unless you like abuse. Tank needs to come off to remove plug. Oil is the same for both tranny and motor. Spectro ok but IMO use Yamalube or Silkolene. Lean will cause your bike to backfire on deceleration. Any other questions? ?

"Lean" is the term used to describe an air/fuel mixture that contains too little fuel and too much air. "Rich" is the opposite.

Golden Spectro 4 tested better than YamahaLube in several significant ways. It's one of the better choices.

And for the shoot-from-the hip-types like "06YZ450", who, interestingly, has been a member only since January, and yet now seems to believe himself qualified to govern the behavior of other members, you should know that the shipments of the '06 manuals have been lagging behind the delivery of the bikes since the bikes showed up. Don't assume everyone has one.

Nevertheless, VT, if you did not get one, go back and demand one. Yours is a very high tech machine, and you need the proper information to keep it running right. If you do have one, the answers to your questions are in there. Study it, then ask for clarification.

too lean = melt down

too rich = you can live to fight another day

You do not have to take the tank off to get the plug out. It might be easier with it off, but it is not too difficult to get it out with the tank on. When you are jetted correctly, there is little reason to ever have to mess with spark plugs. I have been through a whole season on a single plug.

My bike came with a special plug remover, extra main jets (160 hahaha, and a 170), and a spoke wrench. I wouldn't leave the dealership without a service manual!

06 YZF 450 Questions

Is there a trick to getting the spark pug out??

The oil is for the tranny and motor? Is spectro good oil?

What does running lean mean?

Thanks,

Joel

When I bought my WR two years ago, I wondered the very same things, and alot more. I took my bike to the dealership for an oil change I was so scared and uninformed. I am still far from knowing as much as I would like too, but I have learned a TON here on TT. Welcome aboard. ?

Just take the tank off...Takes a couple minutes and will save the head ache of getting the plug back in. I run the Golden Spectro and like it. Being up in VT your bike is more than likely running very lean with the weather here in the Northeast and your altitude. The Jetting forum is a huge help but I think 90% of us who have the 06 450 are running the 48 pilot and 170 main jet as a starting point. You may notice your bike popping and backfiring when you let off the gas which is an indication of your bike running lean so you need to fatten the jets to get a richer mix. The 3rd thing you will need to adjust is the fuel screw located in the bottom of the carb and will help to fine tune your jetting. If you are new at this you can do it with the manual and it is very simple and any of us can help. I too asked stupid questions here but received the answers I needed to get the bike running well. I am now using this forum to change the oil seals in my forks which I swore I would never touch but with the wealth of knowledge and information here there is not much you will not be abe to do. Good luck and try the search button on the top right first but if you don't find what you need ask away. Let me know if you need anything else...

AND with the 06450f you do need to take the tank off TRUST ME!!!!

?

? I call BS

It can be done with the tank on.

I'm not trying to split hairs here and I am no mechanical marvel by any means. I have huge hands but was able to get the plug out with the supplied spark plug removal device while the tank was on my '06 YZ450F!

I agree it is much easier with the tank off but not absolutely necessary.

Hey, welcome to the forum VT30.

Along the lines of owner manuals. The manual I got with my bike is titled "service manual" . Is everyone else's manual labeled the same way or did the shop end up giving me a true "service manual" rather than a "owners manual"?

Hey, welcome to the forum VT30.

Along the lines of owner manuals. The manual I got with my bike is titled "service manual" . Is everyone else's manual labeled the same way or did the shop end up giving me a true "service manual" rather than a "owners manual"?

Mine is titled "owner's service manual" YZ450F(V) 2S2-28199-80