1999 yz400f questions

13 replies to this topic
  • Markopolo400

Posted April 09, 2006 - 11:47 AM

Hi guys, I have an opportunity to pick up a 1999 yz400f with 15 hours on it real cheap.

Should I? The bike looks and runs awesome.

I also have a few questions.

I have heard that these bikes are very durable because of the 5 valve design, and the stainless valves.

And are there any problems with the bike from the factory?

I really want this bike, but I also want to be sure that it is the right one.

Any other questions that I should ask the seller when/if I get it?

And since I just blew up my yz125 today I need something else to ride while I fix that, and my dad wants me to get a 4-stroke.

Does anyone have one? And do you like it?

Thanks.

• Butta

Posted April 09, 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hmm...a 99 with 15 hours on it?? I would be skeptical of the hours, as well as the condition of the motor. It's not good for machines to sit forever with no use. They are made to run and the seals, carbs, everything stays in better shape when they are used as opposed to being stored for several years. They're great bikes, and if the price is right any deal can be a good deal, but it would help if you post the price and any pix you have....

• fershy

Posted April 09, 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hey if the price is right, go for it! Like you said, pre titanium valves so you have a durable valve train. 99 was the second year for these bikes and they were well sorted as compared to the 98's. The carb takes a little time to setup so it is crisp but that goes for all Keihins. I would check the valve seat clearances, change the oil, and ride it! :thumbsup:
fershy

• One Louder

Posted April 09, 2006 - 01:20 PM

I have a 98 yz 400 and I love it. The carb is a little picky though. Other than that the bike rips I love it :thumbsup: I got mine for $1300 and it didn't run. I little tlc and she runs like a champ :thumbsup:

• Markopolo400

Posted April 09, 2006 - 01:21 PM

Hmm...a 99 with 15 hours on it?? I would be skeptical of the hours, as well as the condition of the motor. It's not good for machines to sit forever with no use. They are made to run and the seals, carbs, everything stays in better shape when they are used as opposed to being stored for several years. They're great bikes, and if the price is right any deal can be a good deal, but it would help if you post the price and any pix you have....

Here's the deal with it. The first owner bought it new in '99 and never rode it. Never...Then his wife got pregnant and they needed money really bad so they sold it to the current owner for $2000.

The current owner used to ride 125s 17 years ago and only recently bought the 99 yz400f to get back into riding. He says that the yz400f is too powerful for him and he wants another 125. The motor has 15 easy hours on it, as the current owner is a heavy smoker, and is an older guy.

He'll give it to me for $1500.

• JMC

Posted April 09, 2006 - 05:15 PM

Buy it. I will tell you in my neck of the woods resale on those things is low, I was lucky to get 1900 for my 99' clean 400 2 years ago. Come to think of it I saw the guy who bought it ridding it today! Kinda miss it.
Remeber 1 thing:Condition condition condition.

• One Louder

Posted April 09, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Here's the deal with it. The first owner bought it new in '99 and never rode it. Never...Then his wife got pregnant and they needed money really bad so they sold it to the current owner for $2000.

Here's my question, why would you buy a brand new nike and never ride it? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markopolo400

Posted April 10, 2006 - 02:02 PM

Here's my question, why would you buy a brand new nike and never ride it? :thumbsup:

He lived in a culdesac, and he had no place to ride it.

Then his wife got pregnant, and that was that...

• dirtbike_newb

Posted April 10, 2006 - 02:10 PM

I bought a 99 yz400f about a month ago. I've always had sport quads and rode my buddy's cr500 whenever we'd go ride together. He finally persuaded me to get a bike and I am extremely happy with it so far. Its got plenty of power and I haven't had any issues with it. I just put a 3.3 clarke tank w/ WR reserve petcock (forest riding mostly), 48 pilot, and a JD jet kit, and MAN!! its got even more bite to go with the bark plus it starts much easier.

You will be happy with it, I've heard nothing but good things so far. As long as you follow the starting drill you won't have any problems.

• One Louder

Posted April 10, 2006 - 06:35 PM

He lived in a culdesac, and he had no place to ride it.

Then his wife got pregnant, and that was that...

I've heard of excuses but come on! But heay good for you! :thumbsup:

• Markopolo400

Posted April 11, 2006 - 05:32 PM

Well my parents have decided to let me get it.

I pick it up on Thursday. I can't wait! :thumbsup:

• tom nolan

Posted April 13, 2006 - 07:32 AM

Take of the exhaust header and pull the filter. Check it for part numbers. If it looks clean, go for it

• DRH

Posted April 14, 2006 - 11:40 AM

Buy it! Even if they are BSing you about the hours on it. A bike with 15 hrs on it should look pretty new. It should have the original tires on it Right? Rubber is propbably bad. Let say they are off by some 20-30 hours. Using my 1999 as a comparison. that means you probably have about 400-500 hours or more left on the top end. I went 4 years before replacing the piston and today the bike still has the original valves in it (shimmed only once). This particular motor cycle is a iron horse, reliability is the best of all the 4 strokes past and current, especially given the performance capabilities.

• 4x4r

Posted April 14, 2006 - 12:31 PM

I had a 1999 yz400 and it was perfect. No problems ever!!! I raced the piss out of it. Went sand duning, all kinds of ice racing and never took the engine or carb apart. It was all stock and a great bike. i owned it until 2001 then I sold it for $2500.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.