Cleaning Out Tank?

6 replies to this topic
  • bobwombat

Posted October 10, 2001 - 09:17 PM

i'd like to clean out my stock tank for temporary storage after converting to the Clarke/SDG seat combo (awesome). i'm wondering what the forum opinion is re: proper cleansing procedure. The objective is to not store a clump of toxic fumes in the garage....i've heard a number of grandma's old tales but will defer to the forum's collective wisdom. thx for all thoughts & suggesions. bobwombat

• Taffy

Posted October 10, 2001 - 09:37 PM

take the cap off and put the tank on the end of the exhaust pipe of your car, van or bike.

run it for ten minutes.

• Bill

Posted October 11, 2001 - 04:33 AM

I pulled the petcock and cap, filled it w/warm water and some Simple Green sloshed it around and blew it out, with the air. I used trash bags for wrapping it.

99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, All YZ Modifications, de-octopussed (Thanks Clark) EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ, 100PAJ and 65 SJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

AMA, Happy Ramblers MXC (Dist #7), Tower City and Rausch Creek

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobwombat

Posted October 11, 2001 - 05:05 AM

taffy, i did as u said. but, was i supposed to remove the tank after 10 mins? everybody's asking why i'm driving around w/a blue plastic thing hanging off the end of my tailpipe! i don't quite feel sorted out yet; so, maybe i'll try bill's idea..... bobwombat

• Taffy

Posted October 11, 2001 - 08:36 AM

"i don't feel quite sorted"! neh!!!!

yes but wouldn't it have been fun if it had back fired!!!

• armourbl

Posted October 11, 2001 - 09:44 PM

Ok, I'm lost...

Was Taffy joking or serious about the exhaust thing....?

So I guess you got the tank Bob. You forgot to mention you received it already....

• bobwombat

Posted October 11, 2001 - 10:33 AM

ben, got the Clarke WR to YZ conversion kit yesterday but i already knew i asked for the wrong (smaller) tank. i mailed it back today for the 3.3 gal tank which is STILL slimmer & lower up top than our WR tanks. u'll see my new set-up a week from saturday if not before.

as for Taffy, well, he's a card & a 1st class bloke to boot; all aces in my book.... if everyone gets too serious or uptight @ the forum, Taffy will straighten 'em out; right-o Taf?

good lord, i can just see some poor guy holding his tank up to the ass end of his truck right now.....

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.