Waterless Coolant in 06 YZ450F

14 replies to this topic
  • MotoXman

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Just thought i would post this. I decided to put this evans waterless coolant NPG+ in my bike and it works great. It is designed to be used without any water and is supposed to last 400,000 miles in a car. I started using it in my F350 powerstroke diesel because it doesnt require additives like the manufacturers coolant does and it is also used as a pressure less system. The boiling point of this stuff is so hi it doesnt require pressure to raise the boiling point of the coolant. They even tell you to drill a hole in the rad cap of your vehicle. Of course i didnt drill a hole in the cap of my YZ450 but i have been using it in my bike now for 3 weeks and have had no boil overs at all. I raced with it last weekend in a GP with no problems. I have used it in my truck for 3 years now and the resevior looks brand new still and doesnt stain like the stock coolant stuff. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else was considering trying anything like this. Oh, and i DO NOT sell this stuff and dont get paid to advertise i promise.

• One Louder

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:54 PM

what is it called, where can you get it, and how much does it cost?

BTW welcome to TT :thumbsup:

• MotoXman

Posted April 08, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Its called: Evans Waterless Coolant NPG+, I got it from dieselsitetoo and its around 27.00 a gallon. If you look on the website we should be using Evans NPG-R for our bikes though. It is a little expensive but works great in my truck for 3 years now so i fugured what the hell and gave a shot in the bike. Hope this helps. Evans has a site with all the info. evanscooling

• MotoXman

Posted April 08, 2006 - 09:37 PM

I also just found this on zipty racing website. They market it in a different container but if you close it says the small evans coolant logo on it.
.ziptyracing.com/popups/largeview_product.aspx?id=MTMwNg==

• One Louder

Posted April 08, 2006 - 10:43 PM

sound like some pretty cool stuff, (no pun intended :thumbsup: ) I might actuallyhave to try some, my yz 400 gets real hot sometimes and I live in Phoenix, AZ

• treehopper

Posted April 09, 2006 - 11:35 AM

It might not boil over, but it must not have very good heat transfer. I looked at Evan's suggestions on putting their coolant in my LS1-based HD pickup truck. Remove thermostat (!). Double the radiator's thickness (!). Have separate oil coolers (!). Replace cap with 7 psi model.
Thanks for testing it in a bike, I think I'll pass, though.

• MotoXman

Posted April 09, 2006 - 11:46 AM

The only way to tell if it is transferring enough heat i guess is to get thermal readings on the cylinder or something or the actual water temp under controled conditions. any suggestions. I was under the impression that it transfers heat better because it has no cavitation. The lower psi cap replacement is beacause it doesnt need the coolant system to be pressurised to raise the boiling point. As far as the other stuff like thermostat and radiator that seems strange so maybe youre right. I dont know.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odlaw19

Posted April 10, 2006 - 04:49 AM

I think i will pass on this one too.....

I have never had my bike over heat.... even in dune riding at 40degC+.

I dont think the really high boiling point is such a great thing.... coolant will boil for a reason.... normally something is wrong!!! I wouldn't like my engine to heat to an abnormal point before it was noticed.

Cooling also come down to the efficiency of radiators and air flow etc.... not just the fluid running in the system.

Waldo
YZ426

• ncmountainman

Posted April 10, 2006 - 05:45 AM

i've been running evans for some time now,without a problem. i use the npg-r though,its of a lighter viscocity and flows easier thru the small system of a dirtbike. it does only have around 77% of the heat transfer of water,BUT....it eliminates molar cavitation,which my understanding is when the coolant boils on the water jackets around the cylinder causing air pockets which in turn reduce the contact between metal/coolant. i do run it with fluidynes but before that i ran my last bike(wr)with the stock rads and evans :thumbsup:

• riderman329

Posted April 11, 2006 - 09:16 AM

if you put a bigger rad cap on the bike it will stop boiling over pressure. like on the stock 06 450f if you go to a 1.6 it will stop boiling over, at this past weekends race i saw many 06 yzf have coolent running out of the over flow tube, for less then 1 min. i counted a total of 12.

i talked to my suspension guy and he told me he has heard of the 06's to over heat, but replace the stock anitfreeze, with engine ice, and place a 1.6 cap, and it will solve the problem.

• ncmountainman

Posted April 11, 2006 - 12:09 PM

raising the pressure will raise the boiling point,then when it does boil its gonna be a larger problem. i tried engine ice before going to evans even with the stronger cap i couldn't keep the stuff in during a tight HS. evans is the way to go :thumbsup: i remember hearing that ethylene glycol based coolants(NPG-R) might be illegal for some competitions,and that might limit some to NPG+ as its propylene glycol :thumbsup: who's really gonna know anyhow?

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:16 PM

The evans I heard is good stuff...but I have been testing the ZipTy waterless race coolant for the past few months and I have had no boil-overs at all. Then again, I never had any boil-overs when I was using Engine Ice either...and I ride in tight stuff where you have to really work the clutch.

• Chas_M

Posted April 11, 2006 - 02:58 PM

The main problem with these 'waterless' coolants is that their heat transfer efficiency is much less than water, resulting in an engine that is always running hotter as a consequence.

• ncmountainman

Posted April 11, 2006 - 03:43 PM

The evans I heard is good stuff...but I have been testing the ZipTy waterless race coolant for the past few months and I have had no boil-overs at all. Then again, I never had any boil-overs when I was using Engine Ice either...and I ride in tight stuff where you have to really work the clutch.

zip-ty is repackaged evans,i don't know if they do anything extra to it before they double the price :thumbsup:

• bg10459

Posted April 11, 2006 - 07:03 PM

The main problem with these 'waterless' coolants is that their heat transfer efficiency is much less than water, resulting in an engine that always running hotter as a consequence.

True. You'll run coolest with straight distilled water. I add just enough coolant to get my desired freeze protection and I have no problems. Evans is good if you can't keep fluid in your rads.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.