WR426 vs KTM 400 EXC

7 replies to this topic
  • Dirtbike_Dad

Posted October 10, 2001 - 03:35 PM

Long story short... I just don't enjoy road riding at all. I want to replace my 2001 KLR650 with a light, powerful bike that I won't want to replace in 6 months (this will be my third bike this year).
I really enjoy the power of my 650 and don't want to be frustrated when I hit the throttle.
I grew up riding dirt as a kid, and now 20 years later I'm really enjoying being back on trails. I will be doing mostly trail riding, but stopping to play every chance I get. I like to jump, nothing too big, but I'm tired of bottoming-out when I jump the KLR.
I'm willing to consider any of the 400 bikes. So far it looks like the Honda and Suzuki are not going to meet my needs without modification. The WR426 and KTM 400 EXC both seem to have a lot going for them.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone that knows these bikes.

• tripm

Posted October 10, 2001 - 03:38 PM

I just switched from the wr to the ktm. If you're going to jump much, the wr would be better. If not, I think the ktm is better for the trails. I guess you could get the ktm and stiffen the suspension though...

• BlueThunder

Posted October 10, 2001 - 04:21 PM

Any of the 400's (XR,DRZ,WR or the EXC) will be a joy to ride coming over from a KLR650 !
Those heavies will kill you off-road unless you're 6'6", 250+#'s and even then.....why would you subject yourself to that? Don't get me wrong..the KLR is a great dual-sport that is comfortable on the street, has a good usable power curve for the street and can go off-road when need be but it is leaning way over towards the street side of dual-sport. I'm blessed with owning a street-legal WR and I'll never purchase a factory dual-sport bike again(my old DR350SE was a great bike to learn on though Posted Image). Any of the 400's will put a smile on your face but now you're faced with the dillema....each has features that you must consider before you purchase...I'm personally a fan of the WR and KTM's but that's just what fits my riding style better. Choose your steed and enjoy.

Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin(plus everythhing else cool that Ty offers), Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.

• Taffy

Posted October 10, 2001 - 09:45 PM

i've ridden both and the KTM is about 10lb lighter but feels 25!! my bike is quicker though.

other than that i bought my 99WR for £3,000 and have spent £1,000 setting it up. the KTM was £5,000 new and doesn't need touching.

if you're buying used and you want to play with it and "fettle" the settings aviod the '99 and get a Y2K+.

if you're well heeled get the KTM. like the others say though, they're all good except the suzuki's which need work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Woodzi

Posted October 11, 2001 - 01:49 AM

Don't want frustration when you twist the throttle = Yamaha. Its way faster than a KTM 400.

• *mike68*

Posted October 11, 2001 - 02:04 AM

My next bike will probably be the KTM400. I will definatley want something lighter and a bit more nimble. For trail riding, being quick and nimble will make you faster than plain brute power. I seen a friend of mine switch from a WR400 to a KTMEXC 400 and it definatley made him a fater rider in the tight stuff. My other riding partner (Brian)swaped his Wr400 for a few miles and is now looking for a KTM 400. I didn't ride it becuase I don't want to want another bike, I just got this one. The WR it a good trail bike, dont get me wron, but on those 80+ mile enduros and trail rides, they can wear you down.

Ops, forgot, e-start IS the balls!

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited October 11, 2001).]

• Russ_P

Posted October 16, 2001 - 02:09 PM

My WR is for sale. If or when I get another bike it will be a KTM. Why? 3" lower at the seat, The taller WR is a major PITA for shorter riders, the KTM is lighter, no rear suspension linkage to deal with, higher quality components which equals a better set up bike out of the crate. For the 4 strokes as well no decompression lever or starting ritual, no hot start BS, just kick like a 2 stroke and oh yeah that magic button is nice too.

'00 WR 400
Western Fab Insert, YZ timed, airbox lid removed, YZ throttle stop, Michelin S12's, UFO YZ plastic,Mobile 1.

• Dirtbike_Dad

Posted October 17, 2001 - 01:42 AM

Thanks to everyone that responded. This Thumperboard has been very helpful. I bought a used 2001 KTM 520 EXC on Saturday. It's truly a shockingly fast, fun bike to ride.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.