Newbie Question

9 replies to this topic
  • Hockey66

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:26 PM

I was just cleaning the air filter on my 06 and noticed their is a wire screen attached to the frame-thingy. Does this restrict airflow at all - would their be any benefit to removing it? Also, which aftermarket airfilter is best to buy performace wise, or is the difference so small it's negligible?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge. :thumbsup:

• devildriver

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:12 PM

go for a rushor twin air filter, and some good quality air filter oil from like bel ray and motul. I would answer your question about the wire screen but as i dont have a yamaha i cant. DeViLdRiVeR.

• N_Boyd

Posted April 07, 2006 - 11:03 PM

The metal screen is a back-fire screen. When a thumper backfires, it could catch the air filter on fire and that screen is suppose to stop it. You could remove it to get better airflow, and get a twin-air filter that is fire retardant.

• flintlock28

Posted April 08, 2006 - 06:54 AM

I really question the cost of the "kits" that eliminate the screen.....Seriously, how much more airflow are you going to acheive?? maybe 1/10th of a Horsepower?? I think those kits run around $ 80 and up, and I believe when people say they can "feel" a difference, it's strictly in their head.
You'd be better off spending about $ 60 on a jetting kit like the J/D kit, available here on TT.

• One Louder

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:38 AM

I would have to agree :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hockey66

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:46 PM

So I can't just cut it out and be done with it, I have to buy a special kit to remove it?

• T H O R

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Who cares. Just leave it, it's not like you need anymore power with the bike anyways.

• One Louder

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:51 PM

the JD kit is a new carb needle and main jets. That will give you way more power than removing the screen. I think he was talking about buing aftermarket frams being a waste of $$$ :thumbsup:

• CRF_173

Posted April 08, 2006 - 09:02 PM

You can cut it out. IThe chances of your bike back firing and catching the filter on fire are very slim, It's just a legal thing, probably happened some one idiot who was running his bike wayyy to rich and sued them over it, now they have to have them. Go ahead and take it out if its worth it to you.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2006 - 11:05 PM

The REAL question is "is there any benefit to removing the screen?"

My own tests indicate that there is not, and that the screen is less restrictive the the filter element itself is.

In testing air box configurations for Doug Henry's Supermoto ride a couple of years back, his crew found no benefit to it either, and that was using a dyno, among other tests.

IMO, leave it.

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.