Can't remove flywheel weight, help!

9 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:14 PM

I've got a 05 450f with a stealy flywheel weight. The problem is I have to take it off to put on a lighting coil. It won't come off! Are the threads regular, as in left to loosen? I have tried heating it with a torch. No luck. This is the point where I usually get frustrated and end up breaking something that costs alot of money so before I do that any suggestions? thks

• Chas_M

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:45 PM

If you need to pull the flywheel, you need a flywheel puller.

• Butta

Posted April 08, 2006 - 07:17 AM

I've got a 05 450f with a stealy flywheel weight. The problem is I have to take it off to put on a lighting coil. It won't come off! Are the threads regular, as in left to loosen? I have tried heating it with a torch. No luck. This is the point where I usually get frustrated and end up breaking something that costs alot of money so before I do that any suggestions? thks

If you are trying to remove the weight from the stock flywheel, then you are facing left handed threads (right to loosen, left to tighten). Hopefully you haven't tightened it too much... If you're trying to get the flywheel off the crank, a flywheel pull, like said above, is needed ($12).

• gdbarr1976

Posted April 09, 2006 - 06:33 AM

If you are trying to remove the weight from the stock flywheel, then you are facing left handed threads (right to loosen, left to tighten). Hopefully you haven't tightened it too much... If you're trying to get the flywheel off the crank, a flywheel pull, like said above, is needed ($12).

Ah, left handed threads..that would make a difference. Thanks.

• gdbarr1976

Posted April 09, 2006 - 11:28 AM

I am trying to remove the flywheel weight from the flywheel. Are you SURE it is left handed threads?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Butta

Posted April 09, 2006 - 12:09 PM

yep, I just pulled my flywheel off using a puller that is left hand threads. I have the same model/year as you. What I wonder is if you have over-tightened it.....keep trying.

Can you get the whole thing off the crank yet, or are you still working with it on the bike?

• gdbarr1976

Posted April 09, 2006 - 02:52 PM

yep, I just pulled my flywheel off using a puller that is left hand threads. I have the same model/year as you. What I wonder is if you have over-tightened it.....keep trying.

Can you get the whole thing off the crank yet, or are you still working with it on the bike?

A puller that is left hand threads? Let me make sure we are talking about the same thing. I have a stealy flywheel weight that you install by taking the nut off the end of the crank that holds on the flywheel and then you use the the flywheel weight as the nut. You screw it on then tieghten done 4 allen head screw on the side. I know that to remove the flywheel, not the weight, you use a puller that screws in left handed. But is the nut holding on the flywheel, which is now been replaced by my weight, Left handed?? The damn thing won't budge!!

• KillerHiller

Posted April 09, 2006 - 05:04 PM

To get the steahly off my YZ250, I turn it counterclockwise. I use the dummy spark plug that Steahly sells for $9.

Just took mine off yesterday. There may be locktite on there, which isn't bad, unless it's the red stuff.

Put that bar on that bolts to the outside of the FWW. Get the longest 1/2 drive ratchet, or a torque wrench with a long handle. Set it up so you have to push downward.

Also, call Steahly up. They are very helpful. The owner usually answers.

Good Luck.

KH

• Butta

Posted April 10, 2006 - 08:42 AM

A puller that is left hand threads? Let me make sure we are talking about the same thing. I have a stealy flywheel weight that you install by taking the nut off the end of the crank that holds on the flywheel and then you use the the flywheel weight as the nut. You screw it on then tieghten done 4 allen head screw on the side. I know that to remove the flywheel, not the weight, you use a puller that screws in left handed. But is the nut holding on the flywheel, which is now been replaced by my weight, Left handed?? The damn thing won't budge!!

So you are talking about removing a fastener (the fww) that is screwed onto the crank, right?? IF that is the case, just like the flywheel nut, it is a right hand thread. I apologize for the confusion, I haven't worked with a fww on these 450s, just on my daughter's KX65 which screws into the flywheel via the same threads the puller uses.

As said above, give Steahly a call, they'll be more familiar with what you are talking about and can help out a great deal more.

• gdbarr1976

Posted April 10, 2006 - 07:23 PM

I appreciate the replies. Got it off. I have been using the plate that stealy supplies and it is a right hand thread. This was the problem. If you are very un-lucky it is possible, with the use of bolts that hold that plate on that are a little to long, to have those bolts line up with two holes that are on the flywheel. That was the problem. Those bolts were going through those holes, thus that weight was not coming off. One more for the books!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.