628 kit?

7 replies to this topic
  • nate992v

Posted April 07, 2006 - 04:55 PM

Just wondering if it's worth it to go with a 628 kit or get more bang for the buck with a 660. Like to keep running pump gas, though.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:24 PM

I had the HRC 628(baja race) kit on my 99 XR600r and it ripped. HC piston, cam, the whole enchilada. It ran great across the desert but sucked big time in the tight stuff. It would not lug well at all and required at least 100 octane.I'm told the kit works better without the HC piston. Call Bob Bell and ask him about it, he rode one and had a trick motor set up. It didn't seem to have a big hit but the motor would do anything you wanted. Nate where are you riding this weekend?

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 07, 2006 - 11:46 PM

I used one on an 91 XR 600. Went with the cam and pipe, vented airbox, but left piston alone. Allowed us to run regular fuel while pre running. Make sure you get the weld on air fins that XRs sell. They make a big difference in cooling. That and an oil reservoir. :thumbsup:

• creeky

Posted April 08, 2006 - 04:51 AM

I had the same experience as XR4DEZ with a full HRC 628 kit in a '96 600, Yosh pipe, Edelbrock carb. It was fantastic for open riding, not so great in the tight stuff. It needed a 50/50 mix of premium pump gas and race gas to run like it should. I took it on a Baja trip, had to put it on the trailer after running out of race gas, it couldn't deal with the "Peemix". If you are going to do it, I would recommend middle-of-the-road compression so you can use pump gas.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oud31

Posted April 08, 2006 - 05:32 AM

I got the 628 kit from Xr's only with the 10 1/2 to one piston, and this thing just runs beautiful. I run pump gas as long as its 91 so no worry's with the gas, It has worked great so far and I am very happy with it.

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 08, 2006 - 06:56 AM

Yes, here in the states, it would be great. But go on a Baja ride and you often find stations in the remote sections of Baja without 91. They only have 87 left. The 628 kitted bikes with high compression pistons dont digest that very well. A lot of pinging going on. :thumbsup:

If I was just mainly cow trailing and very little high speed riding (over 60 mph for extended rides) I would probably just go with a pipe or maybe the cam and pipe. the XR 600 is good on its own. :thumbsup:

• Fetona

Posted April 08, 2006 - 09:28 AM

Hey oud31,

I just noticed you're from South Dakota. Where do you ride out there. I used to spend my summers on the farm (east end of the state 10 miles from Minnesota) and there was no public land in that part of the state, it was all farmland. :thumbsup:

I got the 628 kit from Xr's only with the 10 1/2 to one piston, and this thing just runs beautiful. I run pump gas as long as its 91 so no worry's with the gas, It has worked great so far and I am very happy with it.

• oud31

Posted April 09, 2006 - 05:16 AM

Yea your right there really is no place to ride here, I'm also located on the eastern side of the state.(Aberdeen) We haul out to the Black Hills and bad lands.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.