yz 400 flywheel

4 replies to this topic
  • kylwk1500

Posted April 07, 2006 - 04:07 PM

I do mostly fast trail rides with a little bit of technical stuff on my yz 400. Also a little bit of track, but not too much. What would be the best add ons for my bike to make it more trail ready. I have already ordered new sprockets, but was wondering what else any one would suggest. I have heard to add a weighted flywheel. Maybe an 8oz.

• One Louder

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:31 AM

I would be interested in any suggestions too. I also have a yz400 :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lukejt

Posted April 08, 2006 - 03:16 PM

I rode trails on my YZ400F. I installed a 12oz flywheel weight and went up a couple teeth on the rear sprocket. World of difference. The bike would lug in 1st with no clutch at idle. It really helped out with traction and stopped the bike from stalling and overheating.

I've still got the flywheel weight set and I'd be willing to sell it. It's got an 8oz, 10oz and 12oz flywheel weight, screws, tap and flywheel puller. $75 plus shipping. It's used but in perfect working condition.

Lukejt

• DRH

Posted April 08, 2006 - 04:54 PM

I too went with the 12 oz weight, loved it so much I never tried the other two weights that came in the kit. I left mine with stock gearing. Most of my riding was at Livermore and Holister Ca. It really changed the manners of the bike. I was never big on lowering the gears on the 400 because of the abruptness of the motor. The flywheel weight already helped deaden this feeling and by droping a tooth on two on the rear I felt the abruptness would return and would be more violent. The bike also performed better (for me) on the MX tracks. it all but eliminated the stalling when stuffed into a corner, and I found myself carrying a little more speed entering the turns because of the added flywheel weight... Add the weight you will notcie a difference.

• One Louder

Posted April 08, 2006 - 06:08 PM

I rode trails on my YZ400F. I installed a 12oz flywheel weight and went up a couple teeth on the rear sprocket. World of difference. The bike would lug in 1st with no clutch at idle. It really helped out with traction and stopped the bike from stalling and overheating.

If you increase the sprocket size by 2 teeth do you need a longer chain?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.