Spoke problems on a 450

4 replies to this topic
  • boyonblue52

Posted April 07, 2006 - 03:25 AM

I ahve a 2003 yz450f and just yesterday after washing and preping my bike for this weekends race i noticed when i spun the wheel that the rotor would go up then down at a certain point. Then i watched my tire and it seemed to drop down almost and to the right. I am having my wheel tuned today after school. Thats what yamaha thinks is wrong because i havnt had any crashes except the one where i bent my sub-frame and the wheel never hit the ground hard when that happened. Do you all agree with yamaha? Plus i was doing the spokes wrong?. :thumbsup:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:55 AM

Yes, you were doing the spokes wrong. You need to maintain them, tighten them, just like everything else on your race bike.

Do a search and there are a lot of good threads on how to true wheels and such.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • boyonblue52

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:54 AM

:thumbsup: Yeah always keep them tight i just never had done them right i guess. Never had a problems till now though. The other thing i wanted to ask is would a out of true wheel effect the rotor? I would think thats all in the hub which isnt bent because ive never crashed with this bike but one time and the tire never took the hit.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 07, 2006 - 10:09 AM

:thumbsup: Yeah always keep them tight i just never had done them right i guess. Never had a problems till now though. The other thing i wanted to ask is would a out of true wheel effect the rotor? I would think thats all in the hub which isnt bent because ive never crashed with this bike but one time and the tire never took the hit.

I know when I bought my bike used THE first thing I had to do was replace the wheel bearings as they were shot. Can you grab the wheel and move it side to side or UP and DOWN?

You need to fix all of that before you ride or race again or you're looking at busting the whole wheel apart at a bad time, like a high speed straight or large jump. :thumbsup:

• boyonblue52

Posted April 07, 2006 - 12:57 PM

nah the bearings seem to be in great shape i mean its only got 17 hours on it of easy little jump riding and the guy i bought it from who put 5 hrs of riding around his house with no jumps lubed them up before he sold it to use with full matinense. So they are good.....im taking it to my local honda dealer and they are doing it for me sat. unlike yamaha who cant promise to have it done. Not to really rip on them or anything.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.