key on wr?

17 replies to this topic
  • koondawg

Posted April 06, 2006 - 10:57 PM

Anyone ever put a key on their bike so it cant be easily stolen??
:thumbsup:

• chevy

Posted April 06, 2006 - 11:05 PM

In Australia they come with a ignition and key as standard, this is all done by Yamahas engineering division.

• OneToGo

Posted April 07, 2006 - 12:27 AM

Same here...key ignition is standard and retro fitted by dealer with genuine Yamaha Part that must be listed some where and thus easily obtained and fitted by home mechs. Dont know the part number though and dont fancy dismantling mine to find it.... :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted April 07, 2006 - 02:43 AM

I'd love a keyed ignition vs. the button. The button doesn't seem like it will hold up to some abuse.

• JNV

Posted April 07, 2006 - 02:45 AM

I have installed a key to my WR 2006.
The place is not the most appropriate but good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Gatorbiker

Posted April 07, 2006 - 04:44 AM

I am afraid your key placement makes it quite vulnerable in case of a crash... I like your light protector though

• Captain Bob

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:05 AM

Hey Tim! I didn't know you hung around the WR section of Thumper talk! I know... you have always wanted a yamachuckle WR, right? :thumbsup:

Bob

• Captain Bob

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:07 AM

I totaly forgot you bought a new WR. Well.... How does it go?

Bob

• TimBrp

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:42 AM

I totaly forgot you bought a new WR. Well.... How does it go?

Bob

Bikes awesome Bob! When we riding again? Here's a pic of her(quality sucks)...

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:07 AM

So where does the factory mount the key?

• koondawg

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:48 AM

yea, I want one,
Best place to get key??
I have a ttr for my wife I would like to put one on as well. I hear Moab has one of the highest crime rates in the nation. And look forward to freqin there often

• Zique

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:11 AM

I should have bookmarked the site, 'cause I found one a couple days ago...sorry guys, it didn't fit my YZ so I didn't commit it to memory :thumbsup:

• vorra65

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Do a search in this forum, someone here used a TTR switch and it plugged right into the WR harness where the button plugged in. If I remember right, he even set it up with a nuetral light.

• koondawg

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:12 AM

So I found people use the ttr125le key or crf230 key.
Any pros to one over the other?
Gonna do this this week.

• Tsk350

Posted April 08, 2006 - 04:04 AM

I think a key would be more user friendly when using a number plate as long as you could fabricate a key mount like the one on the ttr225. Plus im going to need one to keep my nephew off my bike. I will call the TT Store on Monday and see if they can track one down for us!

• OneToGo

Posted April 08, 2006 - 05:06 AM

So where does the factory mount the key?

Mine was placed (by dealer) where the push button normally goes:
Hope these photos work??
One with key inserted:

Posted Image

And without:

Posted Image

It is very simple and proabably easily shorted/hotwired but definitely more secure than a button... :thumbsup:

I checked the manual - no mention of key

• TallBoysWRF

Posted April 08, 2006 - 05:26 AM

That looks like the key that comes standard on the quads does it not? :thumbsup:

• Beejay

Posted April 09, 2006 - 04:32 AM

I lock my bike with a heavy padlock on the back sprocket.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.